Our goal is to determine how proteins function in space and time in the context of complex cellular networks. We focus on chemistry-driven approaches to manipulate protein structure beyond what is feasible with standard genetics. In particular, we use semi-synthetic light-activatable proteins as biophysical probes to investigate protein mechanisms inside living cells. Areas of interest include the important but poorly understood process of protein S-acylation, signal transduction, and protein trafficking.
- Erazo-Oliveras, A., Najjar, K., La Dayani, L., Wang, T., Johnson, G. A., & Pellois, J. (2014). Protein delivery into live cells by incubation with an endosomolytic agent. Nature Methods. 11(8), 861-867.
- Pena, B., David, A., Pavani, C., Baptista, M. S., Pellois, J., Turro, C., & Dunbar, K. R. (2014). Cytotoxicity Studies of Cyclometallated Ruthenium(II) Compounds: New Applications for Ruthenium Dyes. ORGANOMETALLICS. 33(5), 1100-1103.
- Johnson, G. A., Ellis, E. A., Kim, H., Muthukrishnan, N., Snavely, T., & Pellois, J. (2014). Photoinduced Membrane Damage of E. coli and S. aureus by the Photosensitizer-Antimicrobial Peptide Conjugate Eosin-(KLAKLAK)2. PLoS ONE. 9(3), e91220-e91220.
- Meerovich, I., Muthukrishnan, N., Johnson, G. A., Erazo-Oliveras, A., & Pellois, J. (2014). Photodamage of lipid bilayers by irradiation of a fluorescently labeled cell-penetrating peptide. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - General Subjects. 1840(1), 507-515.
- Muthukrishnan, N., Johnson, G. A., Erazo-Oliveras, A., & Pellois, J. (2013). Synergy Between Cell-Penetrating Peptides and Singlet Oxygen Generators Leads to Efficient Photolysis of Membranes. Photochem Photobiol. 89(3), 625-630.
- Najjar, Kristina (2017-08). Identifying and Characterizing Molecular Parameters that Modulate the Endosomal Escape of Cationic Cell- Penetrating Peptides: A Structure Activity Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Ting-Yi (2016-08). Membrane Oxidation Governed Direct Plasma Membrane Translocation of Cell-Penetrating Peptides in Live Cells: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Erazo, Alfredo (2014-12). Cytosolic Delivery of Proteins, Peptides and Cell-Impermeable Small Molecules Into Live Cells Utilizing Virus-Inspired Multivalent Cell-Penetrating Peptides: Principles and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Muthukrishnan, Nandhini (2014-05). Intracellular Delivery Using Fluorophore-CPP Conjugates and Light: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Johnson, Gregory Andrew (2013-08). Targeted Killing of Bacteria by Conjugation of a Soluble Photosensitizer to an Antimicrobial Peptide: Priniciples and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)