Our goal is to determine how proteins function in space and time in the context of complex cellular networks. We focus on chemistry-driven approaches to manipulate protein structure beyond what is feasible with standard genetics. In particular, we use semi-synthetic light-activatable proteins as biophysical probes to investigate protein mechanisms inside living cells. Areas of interest include the important but poorly understood process of protein S-acylation, signal transduction, and protein trafficking.
- Wang, T., Sun, Y., Muthukrishnan, N., Erazo-Oliveras, A., Najjar, K., & Pellois, J. (2016). Membrane Oxidation Enables the Cytosolic Entry of Polyarginine Cell-penetrating Peptides.. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 291(15), 7902-7914.
- Najjar, K., Erazo-Oliveras, A., & Pellois, J. (2015). Delivery of Proteins, Peptides or Cell-impermeable Small Molecules into Live Cells by Incubation with the Endosomolytic Reagent dfTAT.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. 2015(103),
- Patterson, J. L., Arenas‐Gamboa, A. M., Wang, T., Hsiao, H., Howell, D. W., Pellois, J., Rice‐Ficht, A., & Bondos, S. E. (2015). Materials composed of the Drosophila Hox protein Ultrabithorax are biocompatible and nonimmunogenic. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 103(4), 1546-1553.
- Li, Z., David, A., Albani, B. A., Pellois, J., Turro, C., & Dunbar, K. R. (2014). Optimizing the Electronic Properties of Photoactive Anticancer Oxypyridine-Bridged Dirhodium(II,II) Complexes. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 136(49), 17058-17070.
- Muthukrishnan, N., Donovan, S., & Pellois, J. (2014). The photolytic activity of poly-arginine cell penetrating peptides conjugated to carboxy-tetramethylrhodamine is modulated by arginine residue content and fluorophore conjugation site.. Photochem Photobiol. 90(5), 1034-1042.
- Najjar, Kristina (2017-08). Identifying and Characterizing Molecular Parameters that Modulate the Endosomal Escape of Cationic Cell- Penetrating Peptides: A Structure Activity Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Ting-Yi (2016-08). Membrane Oxidation Governed Direct Plasma Membrane Translocation of Cell-Penetrating Peptides in Live Cells: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Erazo, Alfredo (2014-12). Cytosolic Delivery of Proteins, Peptides and Cell-Impermeable Small Molecules Into Live Cells Utilizing Virus-Inspired Multivalent Cell-Penetrating Peptides: Principles and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Muthukrishnan, Nandhini (2014-05). Intracellular Delivery Using Fluorophore-CPP Conjugates and Light: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Johnson, Gregory Andrew (2013-08). Targeted Killing of Bacteria by Conjugation of a Soluble Photosensitizer to an Antimicrobial Peptide: Priniciples and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)