Our goal is to determine how proteins function in space and time in the context of complex cellular networks. We focus on chemistry-driven approaches to manipulate protein structure beyond what is feasible with standard genetics. In particular, we use semi-synthetic light-activatable proteins as biophysical probes to investigate protein mechanisms inside living cells. Areas of interest include the important but poorly understood process of protein S-acylation, signal transduction, and protein trafficking.
- Brock, D. J., Kustigian, L., Jiang, M., Graham, K., Wang, T., Erazo-Oliveras, A., ... Pellois, J. (2018). Efficient cell delivery mediated by lipid-specific endosomal escape of supercharged branched peptides. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark). 19(6), 421-435.
- Lian, X., Huang, Y., Zhu, Y., Fang, Y. u., Zhao, R., Joseph, E., ... Zhou, H. (2018). Enzyme-MOF Nanoreactor Activates Nontoxic Paracetamol for Cancer Therapy. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition. 57(20), 5725-5730.
- Stubbendieck, R. M., Brock, D. J., Pellois, J., Gill, J. J., & Straight, P. D. (2018). Linearmycins are lytic membrane-targeting antibiotics. Journal of Antibiotics. 71(3), 372-381.
- Lian, X., Erazo-Oliveras, A., Pellois, J., & Zhou, H. (2017). High efficiency and long-term intracellular activity of an enzymatic nanofactory based on metal-organic frameworks. Nature Communications. 8(1), 2075.
- Najjar, K., Erazo-Oliveras, A., Mosior, J. W., Whitlock, M. J., Rostane, I., Cinclair, J. M., & Pellois, J. (2017). Unlocking Endosomal Entrapment with Supercharged Arginine-Rich Peptides.. Bioconjugate Chemistry. 28(12), 2932-2941.
- Najjar, Kristina (2017-08). Identifying and Characterizing Molecular Parameters that Modulate the Endosomal Escape of Cationic Cell- Penetrating Peptides: A Structure Activity Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Ting-Yi (2016-08). Membrane Oxidation Governed Direct Plasma Membrane Translocation of Cell-Penetrating Peptides in Live Cells: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Erazo, Alfredo (2014-12). Cytosolic Delivery of Proteins, Peptides and Cell-Impermeable Small Molecules Into Live Cells Utilizing Virus-Inspired Multivalent Cell-Penetrating Peptides: Principles and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Muthukrishnan, Nandhini (2014-05). Intracellular Delivery Using Fluorophore-CPP Conjugates and Light: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Johnson, Gregory Andrew (2013-08). Targeted Killing of Bacteria by Conjugation of a Soluble Photosensitizer to an Antimicrobial Peptide: Priniciples and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)