Our goal is to determine how proteins function in space and time in the context of complex cellular networks. We focus on chemistry-driven approaches to manipulate protein structure beyond what is feasible with standard genetics. In particular, we use semi-synthetic light-activatable proteins as biophysical probes to investigate protein mechanisms inside living cells. Areas of interest include the important but poorly understood process of protein S-acylation, signal transduction, and protein trafficking.
- Pellois, J. P., Zhou, X., Srivannavit, O., Zhou, T., Gulari, E., & Gao, X. (2002). Individually addressable parallel peptide synthesis on microchips.. NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY. 20(9), 922-926.
- LeProust, E., Pellois, J. P., Yu, P., Zhang, H., Gao, X., Srivannavit, O., Gulari, E., & Zhou, X. (2000). Digital light-directed synthesis. A microarray platform that permits rapid reaction optimization on a combinatorial basis.. JOURNAL OF COMBINATORIAL CHEMISTRY. 2(4), 349-354.
- Pellois, J. P., Wang, W., & Gao, X. (2000). Peptide synthesis based on t-Boc chemistry and solution photogenerated acids.. JOURNAL OF COMBINATORIAL CHEMISTRY. 2(4), 355-360.
- Gao, X., Yu, P., LeProust, E., Sonigo, L., Pellois, J. P., & Zhang, H. (1998). Oligonucleotide synthesis using solution photogenerated acids . Journal of the American Chemical Society. 120(48), 12698-12699.
- Najjar, Kristina (2017-08). Identifying and Characterizing Molecular Parameters that Modulate the Endosomal Escape of Cationic Cell- Penetrating Peptides: A Structure Activity Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Ting-Yi (2016-08). Membrane Oxidation Governed Direct Plasma Membrane Translocation of Cell-Penetrating Peptides in Live Cells: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Erazo, Alfredo (2014-12). Cytosolic Delivery of Proteins, Peptides and Cell-Impermeable Small Molecules Into Live Cells Utilizing Virus-Inspired Multivalent Cell-Penetrating Peptides: Principles and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Muthukrishnan, Nandhini (2014-05). Intracellular Delivery Using Fluorophore-CPP Conjugates and Light: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Johnson, Gregory Andrew (2013-08). Targeted Killing of Bacteria by Conjugation of a Soluble Photosensitizer to an Antimicrobial Peptide: Priniciples and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)