- Susanne M. and Melbern G. Glasscock Director and Chair, Melbern G. Glasscock Center for Humanities Research
- Professor, Philosophy, College of Liberal Arts
My research and teaching interests span aesthetics and philosophy of art, environmental ethics, eighteenth-century philosophy, environmental humanities, and animal studies. My philosophical approach moves between the historical and contemporary, as I seek to interpret past thinking about nature, environment, and the arts for a contemporary context. In current research, I explore interactions between aesthetics and ethics, specifically through other-regarding attitudes toward the natural world, e.g., forms of aesthetic attention, humility, wonder, natural beauty, and the sublime. In earlier work, I focused on the place of imagination, perception, and emotion in aesthetic experience of environment.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Glasgow - (Glasgow, United Kingdom) 1992
- M.Sc. in Philosophy, University of Edinburgh - (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 1988
- B.A. in Philosophy and Political Science, Middlebury College - (Middlebury (village), Vermont, United States) 1986
- Brady, E. (2018). Aesthetics, Humility, and Wonder: Other-Regarding Ways of Relating to Environment. La Pense cologique. N° 2(1), e-e.
- Brady, E. (2018). John Muir's Environmental Aesthetics: Interweaving the Aesthetic, Religious, and Scientific. Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism. 76(4), 463-472.
- Prior, J., & Brady, E. (2017). Environmental aesthetics and rewilding. ENVIRONMENTAL VALUES. 26(1), 31-51.
- Cooper, N., Brady, E., Steen, H., & Bryce, R. (2016). Aesthetic and spiritual values of ecosystems: Recognising the ontological and axiological plurality of cultural ecosystem ‘services’. Ecosystem Services. 21, 218-229.
- Kenter, J. O., O'Brien, L., Hockley, N., Ravenscroft, N., Fazey, I., Irvine, K. N., ... Williams, S. (2015). What are shared and social values of ecosystems?. ECOLOGICAL ECONOMICS. 111, 86-99.
- Brady, E., Brook, I., & Prior, J. (2018). Between Nature and Culture The Aesthetics of Modified Environments. Global Aesthetic Research.
- Brady, E. (2013). The sublime in modern philosophy: Aesthetics, ethics, and nature. Cambridge University Press.
- Brady, E., & Phemister, P. (2012). Human-Environment Relations Transformative Values in Theory and Practice. Springer Science %26 Business Media.
- Pratt, V., Howarth, J., & Brady, E. (2005). Environment and Philosophy. Routledge.
- Brady, E. (2003). Aesthetics of the Natural Environment. Edinburgh University Press.
- Brady, E. (2017). Climate change and future aesthetics. Climate Change and the Humanities: Historical, Philosophical and Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Contemporary Environmental Crisist. (pp. 201-220). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Brady, E. (2015). Aesthetic regard for nature in environmental and land art. Geographical Aesthetics: Imagining Space, Staging Encounters. (pp. 197-210).
- Brady, E. (2015). The environmental sublime. The Sublime: From Antiquity to the Present. (pp. 171-182). Cambridge University Press.
- Brady, E. (2014). Aesthetic value and wild animals. Environmental Aesthetics: Crossing Divides and Breaking Ground. (pp. 188-200).
- Brady, E. (2012). Smells, tastes, and everyday aesthetics. The Philosophy of Food. (pp. 69-86).
- (2001). Aesthetic Concepts Essays After Sibley. Oxford University Press.
- (2012). Human-Environment Relations Transformative Values in Theory and Practice. Springer Science %26 Business Media.
- (2008). Humans in the Land The Ethics and Aesthetics of the Cultural Landscape. Oslo Academic Press.