- Susanne M. and Melbern G. Glasscock Director and Chair, Melbern G. Glasscock Center for Humanities Research, College of Liberal Arts
- Professor, Philosophy, College of Liberal Arts
My research and teaching interests span aesthetics and philosophy of art, environmental ethics, eighteenth-century philosophy, environmental humanities, and animal studies. My philosophical approach moves between the historical and contemporary, as I seek to interpret past thinking about nature, environment, and the arts for a contemporary context. In current research, I explore interactions between aesthetics and ethics, specifically through other-regarding attitudes toward the natural world, e.g., forms of aesthetic attention, humility, wonder, natural beauty, and the sublime. In earlier work, I focused on the place of imagination, perception, and emotion in aesthetic experience of environment.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Glasgow - (Glasgow, United Kingdom) 1992
- M.Sc. in Philosophy, University of Edinburgh - (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 1988
- B.A. in Philosophy and Political Science, Middlebury College - (Middlebury (village), Vermont, United States) 1986
- BRADY, E (2018). John Muir's Environmental Aesthetics: Interweaving the Aesthetic, Religious, and Scientific. The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism. 76(4), 463-472.
- Brady, E (2018). Aesthetics, Humility, and Wonder: Other-Regarding Ways of Relating to Environment. La Pensée écologique. N° 2(1), e-e.
- Prior, J., & Brady, E (2017). Environmental Aesthetics and Rewilding. Environmental Values. 26(1), 31-51.
- Cooper, N., Brady, E., Steen, H., & Bryce, R (2016). Aesthetic and spiritual values of ecosystems: Recognising the ontological and axiological plurality of cultural ecosystem ‘services’. Ecosystem Services. 21, 218-229.
- Kenter, J. O., O'Brien, L., Hockley, N., Ravenscroft, N., Fazey, I., Irvine, K. N., ... Williams, S. (2015). What are shared and social values of ecosystems?. Ecological Economics. 111, 86-99.
- Brady, E., Brook, I., & Prior, J (2018). Between Nature and Culture The Aesthetics of Modified Environments. Global Aesthetic Research.
- Brady, E (2013). The Sublime in Modern Philosophy. Cambridge University Press.
- Brady, E., & Phemister, P (2012). Human-Environment Relations Transformative Values in Theory and Practice. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Brady, E., Howarth, w. J., & Pratt, V (2005). Environment and Philosophy. Routledge.
- Brady, E (2003). Aesthetics of the Natural Environment. Edinburgh University Press.
- Brady, E (2015). Aesthetic regard for nature in environmental and land art. Geographical Aesthetics: Imagining Space, Staging Encounters. 197-210.
- Brady, E (2014). Aesthetic value and wild animals. Environmental Aesthetics: Crossing Divides and Breaking Ground. 188-200.
- Brady, E (2012). Smells, tastes, and everyday aesthetics. The Philosophy of Food. 69-86.
- Brady, E (2012). The Environmental Sublime. The Sublime. 171-182. Cambridge University Press.