education and training
- Ph.D. in Radio-Television-Film, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1999
- M.A. in Communication and Theater, University of Illinois at Chicago - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 1993
- B.A. in Social Communication and Journalism, Methodist University of Sao Paulo - (São Bernardo do Campo, Brazil) 1988
- La Pastina, A. C., Straubhaar, J. D., & Sifuentes, L. (2014). Why Do I Feel I Don’t Belong to the Brazil on TV?. Popular Communication. 12(2), 104-116.
- Campbell, H. A., & La Pastina, A. C. (2010). How the iPhone became divine: new media, religion and the intertextual circulation of meaning. New Media & Society. 12(7), 1191-1207.
- La Pastina, A. C. (2006). The Implications of an Ethnographer’s Sexuality. Qualitative Inquiry. 12(4), 724-735.
- La Pastina, A. C., & Straubhaar, J. D. (2005). Multiple Proximities between Television Genres and Audiences. Gazette (Leiden Netherlands). 67(3), 271-288.
- La Pastina, A. C. (2004). Selling Political Integrity: Telenovelas, Intertextuality, and local Elections in Rural Brazil. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media. 48(2), 302-325.
- La Pastina, A. C. (2015). Mapping Macambira's media environment and how it changed over time. Moreira, D. (Eds.), Interfaces Sociais e Textualidades Midiáticas. Federal University of Mato Grosso Press.
- Rêgo, C. M., & La Pastina, A. C. (2006). Media on the Move. Media on the Move: Global Flow and Contra-Flow. (pp. 89-103). Routledge.
- Pastina, A. (2005). Audience Ethnographies: A Media Engagement Approach. Media Anthropology. (pp. 139-148). Sage Publications, Inc..
- Kraidy, M., & Murphy, P. D. (2004). Global Media Studies. Global Media Studies: Ethnographic Perspectives. (pp. 125-146). Routledge.
- Singhal, A., Rogers, E. M., Sabido, M., & Cody, M. J. (2003). Entertainment-Education and Social Change. Entertainment-Education and Social Change: History, Research, and Practice. (pp. 261-279). Routledge.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Yadlin Segal, Aya (2017-05). Online Homelands: Israeli-Persian Identity between the Online and the Offline. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- French, Nina Casetra (2017-05). Contemporary Representations of Race: Mediating the New(s) Politics of Blackness in the Obama Moment. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Doshi, Marissa J (2014-12). The Promises and Pitfalls of Modernity: An Ethnography of Young Catholic Women's Media Practices for Claiming Cultural Citizenship in Urban India. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Davis, Mamie C. (2014-08). Don't Judge a Man by the Color of his Rag: The Reality and Resistance of Gangsta Rap Among Los Angeles Gang Members. (Master's Thesis)
- Cui, Xi (2011-08). Shanzhai Online Videos in China: Governance and Resistance through Media. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; 4234 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4234