Our goal is to understand how microorganisms interact in complex communities. Specifically, we study how small molecules produced in a microbial community affect the growth, development and metabolic output of the organisms. We use a combination of microbiology, genetic, genomic, and biochemical approaches to dissect complex interspecies interactions. Currently, our research focuses on the interactions of the soil bacteria Bacillus subtilis and members of the genus Streptomyces, known for their prolific production of bioactive small molecules and development of aerial structures and spores.
- Zhang, C., & Straight, P. D. (2019). Antibiotic discovery through microbial interactions. CURRENT OPINION IN MICROBIOLOGY. 51, 64-71.
- Stubbendieck, R. M., Brock, D. J., Pellois, J., Gill, J. J., & Straight, P. D. (2018). Linearmycins are lytic membrane-targeting antibiotics. Journal of Antibiotics. 71(3), 372-381.
- Liu, Y., Kyle, S., & Straight, P. D. (2018). Antibiotic Stimulation of a Bacillus subtilis Migratory Response. MSPHERE. 3(1),
- Hoefler, B. C., Stubbendieck, R. M., Josyula, N. K., Moisan, S. M., Schulze, E. M., & Straight, P. D. (2017). A Link between Linearmycin Biosynthesis and Extracellular Vesicle Genesis Connects Specialized Metabolism and Bacterial Membrane Physiology. CELL CHEMICAL BIOLOGY. 24(10), 1238-+.
- Stubbendieck, R. M., & Straight, P. D. (2017). Linearmycins Activate a Two-Component Signaling System Involved in Bacterial Competition and Biofilm Morphology. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 199(18),
- Goodson, J. R., Klupt, S., Zhang, C., Straight, P., & Winkler, W. C. (2017). LoaP is a broadly conserved antiterminator protein that regulates antibiotic gene clusters in Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. Nature Microbiology. 2(5), 17003.
- Stubbendieck, R. M., Vargas-Bautista, C., & Straight, P. D. (2016). Bacterial Communities: Interactions to Scale. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7(AUG), 1234.
- Stubbendieck, R. M., & Straight, P. D. (2016). Multifaceted Interfaces of Bacterial Competition. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 198(16), 2145-2155.
- Stubbendieck, R. M., & Straight, P. D. (2015). Escape from Lethal Bacterial Competition through Coupled Activation of Antibiotic Resistance and a Mobilized Subpopulation. PLoS Genet. 11(12), e1005722-e1005722.
- Mueller, S., Strack, S. N., Hoefler, B. C., Straight, P. D., Kearns, D. B., & Kirby, J. R. (2014). Bacillaene and Sporulation Protect Bacillus subtilis from Predation by Myxococcus xanthus. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY. 80(18), 5603-5610.
- Hoefler, B. C., & Straight, P. D. (2014). Imaging Mass Spectrometry, Metabolism, and New Views of the Microbial World. Natural Products Analysis: Instrumentation, Methods, and Applications. (pp. 349-396). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Bender, R. A., Downs, D., Kiley, P., LaRossa, R. A., Sonenshein, A. L., & Storz, G. (2008). Bridges and chasms: Summary of the IMAGE 2 meeting in Montreal, Canada, 30 April to 3 May 2007. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 190(3), 792-797.
- Stubbendieck, Reed Michael (2017-05). Discovering Linearmycins in Bacterial Competition: Lysis, Autolysis, and Resistance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Vargas Bautista, Carol M (2014-12). Complex Organization and Dynamic Regulation of the pks Gene Cluster in Bacillus subtilis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gorzelnik, Karl V (2014-05). Competition-Mediated Identification of the First Environmental Protein Responsible for the Degradation of the Lipopeptide Surfactin. (Master's Thesis)