Our goal is to understand how microorganisms interact in complex communities. Specifically, we study how small molecules produced in a microbial community affect the growth, development and metabolic output of the organisms. We use a combination of microbiology, genetic, genomic, and biochemical approaches to dissect complex interspecies interactions. Currently, our research focuses on the interactions of the soil bacteria Bacillus subtilis and members of the genus Streptomyces, known for their prolific production of bioactive small molecules and development of aerial structures and spores.
- Butcher, R. A., Schroeder, F. C., Fischbach, M. A., Straightt, P. D., Kolter, R., Walsh, C. T., & Clardy, J. (2007). The identification of bacillaene, the product of the PksX megacomplex in Bacillus subtilis. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 104(5), 1506-1509.
- Dorrestein, P. C., Bumpus, S. B., Calderone, C. T., Garneau-Tsodikova, S., Aron, Z. D., Straight, P. D., ... Kelleher, N. L. (2006). Facile detection of acyl and peptidyl intermediates on thiotemplate carrier domains via phosphopantetheinyl elimination reactions during tandem mass spectrometry. BIOCHEMISTRY. 45(42), 12756-12766.
- Straight, P. D., Willey, J. M., & Kolter, R. (2006). Interactions between Streptomyces coelicolor and Bacillus subtilis: Role of surfactants in raising aerial structures. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 188(13), 4918-4925.
- Dorrestein, P. C., Blackhall, J., Straight, P. D., Fischbach, M. A., Garneau-Tsodikova, S., Edwards, D. J., ... Kelleher, N. L. (2006). Activity screening of carrier domains within nonribosomal peptide synthetases using complex substrate mixtures and large molecule mass spectrometry. BIOCHEMISTRY. 45(6), 1537-1546.
- Yin, J., Straight, P. D., McLoughlin, S. M., Zhou, Z., Lin, A. J., Golan, D. E., ... Walsh, C. T. (2005). Genetically encoded short peptide tag for versatile protein labeling by Sfp phosphopantetheinyl transferase. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 102(44), 15815-15820.
- Hoefler, B. C., & Straight, P. D. (2014). Imaging Mass Spectrometry, Metabolism, and New Views of the Microbial World. Natural Products Analysis: Instrumentation, Methods, and Applications. (pp. 349-396). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Bender, R. A., Downs, D., Kiley, P., LaRossa, R. A., Sonenshein, A. L., & Storz, G. (2008). Bridges and chasms: Summary of the IMAGE 2 meeting in Montreal, Canada, 30 April to 3 May 2007. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 190(3), 792-797.
- Stubbendieck, Reed Michael (2017-05). Discovering Linearmycins in Bacterial Competition: Lysis, Autolysis, and Resistance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Vargas Bautista, Carol M (2014-12). Complex Organization and Dynamic Regulation of the pks Gene Cluster in Bacillus subtilis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gorzelnik, Karl V (2014-05). Competition-Mediated Identification of the First Environmental Protein Responsible for the Degradation of the Lipopeptide Surfactin. (Master's Thesis)