Our goal is to understand how microorganisms interact in complex communities. Specifically, we study how small molecules produced in a microbial community affect the growth, development and metabolic output of the organisms. We use a combination of microbiology, genetic, genomic, and biochemical approaches to dissect complex interspecies interactions. Currently, our research focuses on the interactions of the soil bacteria Bacillus subtilis and members of the genus Streptomyces, known for their prolific production of bioactive small molecules and development of aerial structures and spores.
- Vargas-Bautista, C., Rahlwes, K., & Straight, P. (2014). Bacterial Competition Reveals Differential Regulation of the pks Genes by Bacillus subtilis. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 196(4), 717-728.
- Hoefler, B. C., Konganti, K., & Straight, P. D. (2013). De Novo Assembly of the Streptomyces sp. Strain Mg1 Genome Using PacBio Single-Molecule Sequencing. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 1(4), e00535-e00513.
- Meyer, R. E., Kim, S., Obeso, D., Straight, P. D., Winey, M., & Dawson, D. S. (2013). Mps1 and Ipl1/Aurora B Act Sequentially to Correctly Orient Chromosomes on the Meiotic Spindle of Budding Yeast. Science (New York, N.Y.). 339(6123), 1071-1074.
- Gonzalez, D. J., Xu, Y., Yang, Y., Esquenazi, E., Liu, W., Edlund, A., ... Dorrestein, P. C. (2012). Observing the invisible through imaging mass spectrometry, a window into the metabolic exchange patterns of microbes. Journal of Proteomics. 75(16), 5069-5076.
- Hoefler, B. C., Gorzelnik, K. V., Yang, J. Y., Hendricks, N., Dorrestein, P. C., & Straight, P. D. (2012). Enzymatic resistance to the lipopeptide surfactin as identified through imaging mass spectrometry of bacterial competition. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 109(32), 13082-13087.
- Hoefler, B. C., & Straight, P. D. (2014). Imaging Mass Spectrometry, Metabolism, and New Views of the Microbial World. Natural Products Analysis: Instrumentation, Methods, and Applications. (pp. 349-396). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Bender, R. A., Downs, D., Kiley, P., LaRossa, R. A., Sonenshein, A. L., & Storz, G. (2008). Bridges and chasms: Summary of the IMAGE 2 meeting in Montreal, Canada, 30 April to 3 May 2007. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 190(3), 792-797.
- Stubbendieck, Reed Michael (2017-05). Discovering Linearmycins in Bacterial Competition: Lysis, Autolysis, and Resistance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Vargas Bautista, Carol M (2014-12). Complex Organization and Dynamic Regulation of the pks Gene Cluster in Bacillus subtilis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gorzelnik, Karl V (2014-05). Competition-Mediated Identification of the First Environmental Protein Responsible for the Degradation of the Lipopeptide Surfactin. (Master's Thesis)