education and training
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with emphasis in Mathematics Education (Distinguished Honors), Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2017
- M.S. in Mathematics, Teaching Option, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2000
- B.A. in Mathematics with Emphasis in Computer Science, Colorado College - (Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States) 1993
- Lyons, L., Fleming, K. J., Whitfield, J. G., Ging, A. B., Ketsetzi, A., Etchells, M. J., & Waxman, H. C. (2015). Evaluating the implementation of core practices in teacher education programs in Texas. The Texas Forum of Teacher Education. 5, 33-48.
- Capraro, M. M., Whitfield, J. G., Etchells, M. J., & Capraro, R. M. (2016). A Companion to Interdisciplinary STEM Project-Based Learning. SensePublishers.
- Whitfield, J., Bollinger, K. L., Chen, L., Epstein, J., & Pilant, M. (). Applied Calculus on the Web. Brooks Cole/Thompson Learning.
- Mckissick, S., & Whitfield, J. G (2016). Building a Better Cereal Box. A Companion to Interdisciplinary STEM Project-Based Learning. 11-18. SensePublishers.
- Hilsabeck, T., Whitfield, J. G., & Etchells, M. J (2016). Building a Better Tomorrow. A Companion to Interdisciplinary STEM Project-Based Learning. 19-25. SensePublishers.
- Oseguera, L., Etchells, M. J., & Whitfield, J. G (2016). Carbon Footprint Reduction. A Companion to Interdisciplinary STEM Project-Based Learning. 139-143. SensePublishers.
- Arca, M., & Whitfield, J. G (2016). Survival of the Fittest. A Companion to Interdisciplinary STEM Project-Based Learning. 209-214. SensePublishers.
- Cevik, E., Johnson, M., Yalvac, B., Whitfield, J., Kuttolamadom, M., Porter, J., & Morgan, J. (2018). Assessing the Effects of Authentic Experiential Learning Activities on Teacher Confidence with Engineering Concepts. 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. 2018-June,
in the news
- MATH 140 and MATH 142 Students Use Texas A&M University Instructor Created Open Educational Resource TAMU Center for Teaching Excellence News February 26, 2021
- Whitfield Named to Chancellor’s Academy of Teacher Educators TAMU Science News February 21, 2014
- Texas A&M Earns State Honor for STEM Teacher Prep Practices TAMU Science News July 29, 2013
- Connected STEM – Promoting STEM Education through Connected Devices and Building Automation awarded by NSF 2016 - 2021
- Texas A&M University Noyce Monitoring and Evaluation awarded by National Science Foundation 2014 - 2019
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
Texas A&M University; Mathematics; 3368 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3368