- Associate Professor, Communication, College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Wolfe's research is centrally concerned with understanding how we can disagree with each other without being violently disagreeable. In pursuit of this goal, she has investigated how individuals use language to form collective identities with and against others, how leaders use narratives to mobilize those collectivities for action, and how processes of dialogue and deliberation can build bridges between oppositional stakeholders to facilitate the achievement of deeper shared understandings and more democratic public decisions. Her work has been published in journals such as Journal of Communication, Management Communication Quarterly, and Journal of Applied Communication Research. Her co-authored book, Sex and Stigma: Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada's Legal Brothels received the 2019 Book of the Year Award from the Critical Cultural Studies Division of the National Communication Association; Outstanding Book Award from the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language, and Gender; and Honorable Mention for the Sarah A. Whaley Book Prize from the National Women's Studies Association. She is also a member of the planning team for the Aspen Conference, a community of engaged organizational communication scholars focused on developing practical theory and collaborative research that bridge academic-practitioner interests. Consistent with the commitments of engaged organizational communication research, much of Dr. Wolfe's current work is conducted in collaboration with community partners, especially local governments, to use communication theory in the service of addressing everyday problems of living in a pluralistic society.
- Ph.D. in Communication, Ohio University - (Athens, Ohio, United States) 2013
- M.A. in Communication, Ohio University - (Athens, Ohio, United States) 2010
- B.A. in Communication & Media Studies, Georgetown College - (Georgetown, Kentucky, United States) 2009
- Costantini, R. A., & Wolfe, A. W. (2022). Authorial Incongruity and Organizational Presence(s): A Ventriloquial Analysis of Shadowed Organization. MANAGEMENT COMMUNICATION QUARTERLY. 36(4), 612-636.
- Wolfe, A. W., & Champine, T. (2022). Developing a grounded practical theory of engaged communication scholarship: theorizing communities of practice in NCA journals. JOURNAL OF APPLIED COMMUNICATION RESEARCH. 1-18.
- Blithe, S. J., Hughes, J., Jones, R. M., Silverman, R. E., & Wolfe, A. W. (2022). Special Issue Forum: Navigating Privilege and Risk: Mothering and Professing During COVID-19. WOMENS STUDIES IN COMMUNICATION. 45(1), 89-110.
- Black, L. W., Wolfe, A. W., & Han, S. (2022). Storytelling and Deliberative Play in the Oregon Citizens' Assembly Online Pilot on COVID-19 Recovery. AMERICAN BEHAVIORAL SCIENTIST. 00027642221093591-000276422210935.
- Wolfe, A. W., Black, L. W., & Welser, H. T. (2020). Sense of Community and Migration Intentions among Rural Young Professionals. RURAL SOCIOLOGY. 85(1), 235-257.
- Blithe, S. J., Wolfe, A. W., & Mohr, B. (2019). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevadas Legal Brothels. NYU Press.
- Blithe, S. J., Wolfe, A. W., & Mohr, B. (2019). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada's Legal Brothels Exploring Inequalities and Moral Judgments in Legal Prostitution Introduction. SEX AND STIGMA. 1-+.
- Blithe, S. J., Wolfe, A. W., & Mohr, B. (2019). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada's Legal Brothels Life after the Brothel. SEX AND STIGMA. 95-+.
- Blithe, S. J., Wolfe, A. W., & Mohr, B. (2019). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada's Legal Brothels Managing Work-Life Commitments in Legal Prostitution. SEX AND STIGMA. 171-+.
- Blithe, S. J., Wolfe, A. W., & Mohr, B. (2019). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada's Legal Brothels New Directions for Ethnographic Methods Creative Data Collection, Analysis, and Presentation. SEX AND STIGMA. 223-+.
- Blithe, S. J., Wolfe, A. W., & Mohr, B. (2019). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada's Legal Brothels Photographing Legal Prostitution The Art and Work of Priscilla Varner. SEX AND STIGMA. 215-+.
Repository Documents / Preprints1
- Ramasubramanian, S., & Wolfe, A (2020). The promise and perils of interracial dialogue.
- COMM210 Hnr:group Comm & Discussion Instructor
- COMM320 Organizational Comm Instructor
- COMM443 Hnr-comm And Conflict Instructor
- COMM447 Comm Grp Proc & Collab Instructor
- COMM460 Comm & Contempory Issues: Ita Instructor