Neurologist and clinician scientist with a basic, translational and clinical research program, focused mostly on stroke and other brain injuries. The laboratory utilizes a variety of cell free, tissue culture and in-vivo techniques to design and characterize a series of carbon nanomaterials that possess the ability to act as catalytic antioxidants as well as support key mitochondrial functions. This NIH-supported research is in collaboration with synthetic nano-chemists at Rice University (Tour Lab) and biochemists at University of Texas Health Science Center Houston (Tsai Lab). The group is testing a variety of engineered modifications of these versatile, non-toxic materials to address specific cell injury and death mechanisms including ferroptosis and interruption in electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation.
A major interest of ours is the role of diabetes in worsening outcome from stroke, a condition that affects minority and rural Texans disproportionally. With a range of research from molecular interactions to whole animal and clinical studies, the work in this lab is deeply translational, leveraging the group's clinical training and experience to insure that conclusions have direct relevance to the disease state, with the ultimate goal of facilitating the identification of new therapies for these major contributors to disability and mortality.
- Katsanos, A. H., Alexandrov, A. V., Mandava, P., Köhrmann, M., Soinne, L., Barreto, A. D., ... Investigators, f. (2020). Pulse pressure variability is associated with unfavorable outcomes in acute ischaemic stroke patients treated with intravenous thrombolysis. European Journal of Neurology.
- Wu, G., McHugh, E. A., Berka, V., Chen, W., Wang, Z., Beckham, J. L., ... Tsai, A. (2020). Oxidized Activated Charcoal Nanoparticles as Catalytic Superoxide Dismutase Mimetics: Evidence for Direct Participation of an Intrinsic Radical. ACS Applied Nano Materials. 3(7), 6962-6971.
- Dharmalingam, P., Talakatta, G., Mitra, J., Wang, H., Derry, P. J., Nilewski, L. G., ... Hegde, M. L. (2020). Pervasive Genomic Damage in Experimental Intracerebral Hemorrhage: Therapeutic Potential of a Mechanistic-Based Carbon Nanoparticle.. ACS NANO. 14(3), 2827-2846.
- Derry, P. J., Hegde, M. L., Jackson, G. R., Kayed, R., Tour, J. M., Kent, T. A., & Tsa, A. (2020). Revisiting the intersection of amyloid, pathologically modified tau and iron in Alzheimer’s disease from a ferroptosis perspective. Prog Neurobiol. 184, 101716-101716.
- Wu, G., Berka, V., Derry, P. J., Mendoza, K., Kakadiaris, E., Roy, T., ... Tsai, A. (2019). Critical Comparison of the Superoxide Dismutase-like Activity of Carbon Antioxidant Nanozymes by Direct Superoxide Consumption Kinetic Measurements.. ACS NANO. 13(10), 11203-11213.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2016). Cerebrovascular disease. Neurology Secrets: Sixth Edition. (pp. 222-233). Elsevier.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2013). Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack. Cardiology Secrets: Fourth Edition. (pp. 433-443). Elsevier.
- Mandava, P., Krumpelman, C. S., Murthy, S. B., & Kent, T. A. (2012). A Critical Review of Stroke Trial Analytical Methodology: Outcome Measures, Study Design, and Correction for Imbalances. Translational Stroke Research. (pp. 833-861). Springer New York.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2010). Stroke and TIA. Cardiology Secrets. (pp. 355-362). Elsevier.
- Agris, J. M., de Figuelredo, R., Hillman, G. B., & Kent, T. A. (1991). A Novel Method For 3-D Segmentation And Volume Estimation Of Brain Compartments From MRI. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY - ENGINEERING ADVANCES: NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERS, PTS 1&2. 13(pt 1), 68-70.
- Kent, T. A., Simard, J. M., & Jazayeri, A. (1989). Pharmacological characterization of serotonin interactions with cerebral and peripheral vascular smooth muscle. 225-228.