Neurologist and clinician scientist with a basic, translational and clinical research program, focused mostly on stroke and other brain injuries. The laboratory utilizes a variety of cell free, tissue culture and in-vivo techniques to design and characterize a series of carbon nanomaterials that possess the ability to act as catalytic antioxidants as well as support key mitochondrial functions. This NIH-supported research is in collaboration with synthetic nano-chemists at Rice University (Tour Lab) and biochemists at University of Texas Health Science Center Houston (Tsai Lab). The group is testing a variety of engineered modifications of these versatile, non-toxic materials to address specific cell injury and death mechanisms including ferroptosis and interruption in electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation.
A major interest of ours is the role of diabetes in worsening outcome from stroke, a condition that affects minority and rural Texans disproportionally. With a range of research from molecular interactions to whole animal and clinical studies, the work in this lab is deeply translational, leveraging the group's clinical training and experience to insure that conclusions have direct relevance to the disease state, with the ultimate goal of facilitating the identification of new therapies for these major contributors to disability and mortality.
- Kent, T. A., Preskorn, S. H., Glotzbach, R. K., & Irwin, G. H. (1986). Amitriptyline normalizes tetrabenazine-induced changes in cerebral microcirculation. Biological Psychiatry. 21(5-6), 483-491.
- Kent, T. A., Gunn, W. H., Goodwin, D. W., Jones, M. P., Marples, B. W., & Penick, E. C. (1986). Individual differences in state-dependent retrieval effects of alcohol intoxication.. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 47(3), 241-243.
- Kent, T. A., Nagy, G., Oke, A. F., Preskorn, S. H., & Adams, R. N. (1985). Effect of CO2 on a brain extracellular space marker and evidence of its neuronal modulation. Brain Research. 342(1), 141-144.
- Kent, T. A., Campbell, J. L., Pazdernik, T. L., Hunter, R., Gunn, W. H., & Goodwin, D. W. (1985). Blood platelet uptake of serotonin in men alcoholics.. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 46(4), 357-359.
- Kent, T. A., & Preskorn, S. H. (1985). A modified method for the simultaneous determination of regional single-transit brain extraction of diffusion-limited compounds and cerebral blood flow: Utilization of non-invasive measurement of transit time. Brain Research. 335(2), 251-255.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2016). Cerebrovascular disease. Neurology Secrets: Sixth Edition. (pp. 222-233). Elsevier.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2013). Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack. Cardiology Secrets: Fourth Edition. (pp. 433-443). Elsevier.
- Mandava, P., Krumpelman, C. S., Murthy, S. B., & Kent, T. A. (2012). A Critical Review of Stroke Trial Analytical Methodology: Outcome Measures, Study Design, and Correction for Imbalances. Translational Stroke Research. (pp. 833-861). Springer New York.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2010). Stroke and TIA. Cardiology Secrets. (pp. 355-362). Elsevier.
- Agris, J. M., de Figuelredo, R., Hillman, G. B., & Kent, T. A. (1991). A Novel Method For 3-D Segmentation And Volume Estimation Of Brain Compartments From MRI. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY - ENGINEERING ADVANCES: NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERS, PTS 1&2. 13(pt 1), 68-70.
- Kent, T. A., Simard, J. M., & Jazayeri, A. (1989). Pharmacological characterization of serotonin interactions with cerebral and peripheral vascular smooth muscle. 225-228.