education and training
- Ph.D. in Social Psychology, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 2010
- M.S. in Social Psychology, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 2007
- B.A. in Sociology and Rhetoric & Communications Studies, University of Virginia - (Charlottesville, Virginia, United States) 1990
- Darbor, K. E., Lench, H. C., & Carter-Sowell, A. R. (2017). Correction: Do People Eat the Pain Away? The Effects of Acute Physical Pain on Subsequent Consumption of Sweet-Tasting Food. PLoS ONE. 12(2), e0173165-e0173165.
- Darbor, K. E., Lench, H. C., & Carter-Sowell, A. R. (2016). Do People Eat the Pain Away? The Effects of Acute Physical Pain on Subsequent Consumption of Sweet-Tasting Food. PLoS ONE. 11(11), e0166931-e0166931.
- Zimmerman, C. A., Carter-Sowell, A. R., & Xu, X. (2016). Examining Workplace Ostracism Experiences in Academia: Understanding How Differences in the Faculty Ranks Influence Inclusive Climates on Campus. Frontiers in Psychology. 7(MAY), 753.
- Carter-Sowell, A. R., & Carter, J. (2016). Examining Bullying, Ostracism, and Pervasive Stereotypes of Black Immigrants from the Caribbean Living in the United States. Journal of Black Sexuality and Relationships. 2(3), 25-48.
- Carter-Sowell, A. R., & Zimmerman, C. A. (2015). Hidden in Plain Sight: Locating, Validating, and Advocating the Stigma Experiences of Women of Color. Sex Roles. 73(9-10), 399-407.
- Levine, J., & Hogg, M. (2010). Encyclopedia of Group Processes & Intergroup Relations. Carter-Sowell, A. R. (Eds.), Sage Publications, Inc..
- Williams, K. D., & Carter-Sowell, A. R. (2009). Marginalization through social ostracism: Effects of being ignored and excluded. Coping with Minority Status. (pp. 104-122). Cambridge University Press.
- Baumeister, R., & Vohs, K. (2007). Encyclopedia of Social Psychology. Carter-Sowell, A. R. (Eds.), Sage Publications, Inc..
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
Texas A&M University; Psychology; 4235 TAMU
College Station, TX 77845-4235