education and training
- Ph.D. in Speech Communication, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 2003
- M.A. in Communication, University of the Pacific - (Buenaventura, Colombia) 1997
- B.A. in Communication, University of the Pacific - (Buenaventura, Colombia) 1995
- Mercieca, J. R. (2015). The Fourteenth Amendment and the Privileges and Immunities of American Citizenship. Quarterly Journal of Speech. 101(1), 306-311.
- Mercieca, J. R. (2012). A Nation of Speechifiers: Making An American Public After the Revolution. Quarterly Journal of Speech. 98(1), 121-124.
- Dempsey, S., Dutta, M., Frey, L. R., Goodall, H. L., Madison, D. S., Mercieca, J., Nakayama, T., & Miller, K. (2011). What is the role of the communication discipline in social justice, community engagement, and public scholarship? A visit to the CM café. COMMUNICATION MONOGRAPHS. 78(2), 256-271.
- Jennifer R. Mercieca, .. (2008). The Irony of the Democratic Style. Rhetoric & Public Affairs. 11(3), 441-449.
- Mercieca, J. R. (2007). The Culture of Honor: How Slaveholders Responded to the Abolitionist Mail Crisis of 1835. Rhetoric & Public Affairs. 10(1), 51-76.
- Mercieca, J. (2017). Ignoring the President: Barack Obama and the Postrhetorical Presidency. Martin, S. A. (Eds.), Columns to Characters The Presidency and the Press Enter the Digital Age. (pp. 206-230). Texas A&M University Press.
- Mercieca, J. R., & Vaughn, J. S. (2014). Barack Obama and the rhetoric of heroic expectations. The Rhetoric of Heroic Expectations: Establishing the Obama Presidency. (pp. 2-29).
- Mercieca, J. R., & Vaughn, J. S. (2014). Carrying the burden: How barack Obama both embraced and diminished heroic expectations. The Rhetoric of Heroic Expectations: Establishing the Obama Presidency. (pp. 257-264).
- Jasinski, J., & Mercieca, J. R. (2010). Analyzing Constitutive Rhetorics: The Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions and the \"Principles of '98\". The Handbook of Rhetoric and Public Address. (pp. 313-341). Wiley-blackwell.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Terry, Andrea June (2017-05). The Rhetoric of Political Time: Tracing the Neoliberal Regime's Ascent. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Creel, Walter Brady (2016-12). Rhetoric of Heroic Loyalty: Portrayals of Scottish Jacobites as Rebels, Reprobates and Romantics. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rowe, Sara 1988- (2012-12). Curating Memory: 9/11 Commemoration and Foucault's Archive. (Master's Thesis)
- Carney, Zoe L. (2010-05). Tropes and Topoi of Anti-Intellectualism in the Discourse of the Christian Right. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Communication; 4234 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4234