My research focus has been on the 20th century U.S. Army's military, intellectual, and social evolution, imperial and counterinsurgency warfare, comparative international history, and the American way of war. My current project is a study of the U.S. armed forces' recovery from war.
- Harmanny, A., & Linn, B. M. (2020). ‘Technisch geweld’ in de Nederlands-Indonesische Oorlog. Zware wapens in de periode van dekolonisatie. BMGN - Low Countries Historical Review. 135(2), 93-110.
- Linn, B. M. (2016). The US Army's Postwar Recoveries. Parameters. 46(1), 13-22.
- Linn, B. M. (2011). The U.S. armed forces' view of war. DAEDALUS. 140(3), 33-44.
- Linn, B. M., & Weigley, R. F. (2002). \"The American Way of War\" Revisited. Journal of Military History. 66(2), 501-501.
- Linn, B. M. (1999). The Pulahan Campaign: A Study in US Pacification. WAR IN HISTORY. 6(1), 45-71.
- Linn, B. M. (2016). Elvis’s Army. Harvard University Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2009). The Echo of Battle. Harvard University Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2000). Guardians of Empire The U.S. Army and the Pacific, 1902-1940. Univ of North Carolina Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2000). The Philippine War, 1899-1902. University Press of Kansas.
- Linn, B. M. (2000). The U.S. Army and Counterinsurgency in the Philippine War, 1899-1902. UNC Press Books.
- Linn, B. M. (2015). Assessing the Philippine War. Blanken, L. J., Rothstein, H., & Lepore, J. J. (Eds.), Assessing War The Challenge of Measuring Success and Failure. (pp. 111-126). Georgetown University Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2012). Before the Quagmire: The US Army and Southeast Asia. Murfett, M. H. (Eds.), Cold War Southeast Asia. (pp. 224-250). Marshall Cavendish International Asia Pte Ltd.
- Linn, B. M. (2011). Batangas: Ending the Philippine War. Moten, M. (Eds.), Between War and Peace How America Ends Its Wars. (pp. 155-178). Simon and Schuster.
- Linn, B. M. (2009). The Impact of the Philippine Wars (1898-1913) on the U.S. Army. McCoy, A., & Scarano, F. (Eds.), Colonial Crucible Empire in the Making of the Modern American State. (pp. 460-472). Univ of Wisconsin Press.
- Linn, B. (2009). The impact of the Philippine wars (1898-1913) on the U.S. Army. Colonial Crucible: Empire in the Making of the Modern American State. (pp. 460-472).
- Linn, B. M. (2013). The US Army, Technology, and Atomic Warfare in the 1950s. 571-581.
- Linn, B. M. (2011). An American Way of Irregular Warfare?. 45-54.
- Linn, B. M. (2004). Challenge and change: West Point and the Cold War. 218-247.
- Research Grant awarded by Smith Richardson Foundation - (Westport, Connecticut, United States) 2008 - 2016
- Hemler, Christopher Kyle (2018-05). Coordinating Destruction: Joint Assault Signal Companies in the Pacific War. (Master's Thesis)
- Leach, Ryan Thomas (2017-05). A Matter of Perspective: A Comparative Analysis of Field Grade and General Officer Lesson Learning. (Master's Thesis)
- Weber, Nathaniel R (2016-05). United States Military Advisory Assistance Groups During the Cold War, 1945-1965. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pruitt, James Herman (2011-05). Leonard Wood and the American Empire. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Weber, Nathaniel R. (2010-12). The United States Military Assistance Advisory Group in French Indochina, 1950-1956. (Master's Thesis)
- Johnson, Daniel I. (2010-05). Death and Doctrine: U.S. Army Officers' Perceptions of American Casualty Aversion, 1970-1999. (Master's Thesis)
- Sacquety, Troy James (2008-05). The organizational evolution of OSS detachment 101 in Burma; 1942-1945. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mihara, Robert Yoshio (2007-08). Lesser victories: a study of the Philippine Constabulary and Haitian Gendarmerie. (Master's Thesis)
- Powell, James Scott (2006-08). Learning under fire: a combat unit in the Southwest Pacific. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Springer, Paul Joseph (2005-05). American prisoner of war policy and practice from the Revolutionary War to the War on Terror. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Grotelueschen, Mark Ethan (2003-08). The AEF way of war: the American army and combat in the First World War. (Doctoral Dissertation)