My research focus has been on the 20th century U.S. Army's military, intellectual, and social evolution, imperial and counterinsurgency warfare, comparative international history, and the American way of war. My current project is a study of the U.S. armed forces' recovery from war.
- Linn, B. M. (2016). The US Army's Postwar Recoveries. Parameters. 46(1), 13-22.
- Linn, B. M. (2011). The U.S. armed forces' view of war. DAEDALUS. 140(3), 33-44.
- Linn, B. M., & Weigley, R. F. (2002). \"The American Way of War\" Revisited. Journal of Military History. 66(2), 501-501.
- Linn, B. M. (1999). The Pulahan campaign: A study in US pacification. WAR IN HISTORY. 6(1), 45-71.
- Linn, B. M. (1994). Pretty Scaly Times: The Ohio National Guard and the Railroad Strike of 1877. Ohio history / Ohio Historical Society. 94, 171-181.
- Linn, B. M. (2016). Elvis’s Army. Harvard University Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2009). The Echo of Battle. Harvard University Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2000). Guardians of Empire The U.S. Army and the Pacific, 1902-1940. Univ of North Carolina Press.
- Linn, B. M. (2000). The Philippine War, 1899-1902. University Press of Kansas.
- Linn, B. M. (2000). The U.S. Army and Counterinsurgency in the Philippine War, 1899-1902. UNC Press Books.
- Linn, B. M. (2006). The US Army and Small Wars: An Uncomfortable Reality. Dennis, P., & Grey, J. (Eds.), An Art in Itself The Theory and Conduct of Small Wars and Insurgencies : the 2006 Chief of Army Military History Conference. (pp. 3-15). Australian Military History Publications.
- Linn, B. M. (2005). Ambiguous Legacy, Dubious Future: Expeditionary Warfare and the US Military. Dennis, P., & Grey, J. (Eds.), Battles Near and Far: A Century of Operational Development. (pp. 71-97). Australian Army History Unit.
- Linn, B. M. (2005). Foreshadowing the war in Iraq: The U.S. war in the Philippines, 1899-1902. Warriors and Scholars: A Modern War Reader. (pp. 254-273).
- Linn, B. M. (1999). Cerberus' Dilemma: The U.S. Army and Internal Security in the Pacific, 1902-1940*. Killingray, D., & Omissi, D. (Eds.), Guardians of Empire The Armed Forces of the Colonial Powers, C. 1700-1964. (pp. 114-136). Manchester University Press.
- Linn, B. M. (1997). The White Man's Burden: The US Military in the Philippines, 1898-1902. Gonzales-Vales, L. E. (Eds.), 1898 Enfoques y Perspectivas : Simposio Internacional de Historiadores en torno al 1898 : Cuba, Espaa, Estados Unidos, Filipinas, y Puerto Rico. (pp. 111-142). Academia Puertorriqueña de la Historia.
- Linn, B. M. (2013). The US Army, Technology, and Atomic Warfare in the 1950s. 571-581.
- Linn, B. M. (2011). An American Way of Irregular Warfare?. 45-54.
- Linn, B. M. (2004). Challenge and change: West Point and the Cold War. 218-247.
- Research Grant awarded by Smith Richardson Foundation - (Westport, Connecticut, United States) 2008 - 2016
- Hemler, Christopher Kyle (2018-05). Coordinating Destruction: Joint Assault Signal Companies in the Pacific War. (Master's Thesis)
- Leach, Ryan Thomas (2017-05). A Matter of Perspective: A Comparative Analysis of Field Grade and General Officer Lesson Learning. (Master's Thesis)
- Weber, Nathaniel R (2016-05). United States Military Advisory Assistance Groups During the Cold War, 1945-1965. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pruitt, James Herman (2011-05). Leonard Wood and the American Empire. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Weber, Nathaniel R. (2010-12). The United States Military Assistance Advisory Group in French Indochina, 1950-1956. (Master's Thesis)