Dr. Sagapuram focuses his teaching and research in advanced structural materials, materials processing, manufacturing and tribology. Specific topics of interest include mechanics of large-strain plasticity, plastic flow instabilities, localization and failure mechanisms with application to cutting and metal deformation processes; and process mechanics-structure-property relationships in lightweight alloy systems. His group integrates analytical and computational models with high-speed imaging, image analysis and other in-situ experimental tools to understand physical mechanisms that govern material deformation and process mechanics at micro to macro length-scales.
- Ph.D. in Materials Engineering, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 2013
- B.T. in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras - (Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India) 2009
- Ma, X., Zhao, D., Yadav, S., Sagapuram, D., & Xie, K. Y. (2020). Grain-subdivision-dominated microstructure evolution in shear bands at high rates. MATERIALS RESEARCH LETTERS. 8(9), 328-334.
- Yadav, S., & Sagapuram, D. (2020). In situ analysis of shear bands and boundary layer formation in metals.. Proc Math Phys Eng Sci. 476(2234), 20190519-20190519.
- Yadav, S., & Sagapuram, D. (2020). Nucleation properties of isolated shear bands. Proc Math Phys Eng Sci. 476(2241), 20200529-20200529.
- Sagapuram, D., Udupa, A., Viswanathan, K., Mann, J., M'Saoubi, R., Sugihara, T., & Chandrasekar, S. (2020). On the cutting of metals: A mechanics viewpoint. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Transactions of the ASME. 1-46.
- Feng, G., & Sagapuram, D. (2020). Size effect and friction in cutting of metals on the small scale. CIRP Annals. 69(1), 77-80.
- Viswanathan, K., Udupa, A., Sagapuram, D., & Mann, J. B. (2019). What Do Chip Morphologies Tell Us About the Cutting Process?. Advances in Forming, Machining and Automation. (pp. 349-359). Springer Singapore.
- Sagapuram, D., Efe, M., Moscoso, W., Chandrasekar, S., & Trumble, K. P. (2016). Non-Basal Textures in Magnesium Alloy Strips Produced by Extrusion-Machining. Essential Readings in Magnesium Technology. (pp. 395-399). Springer International Publishing.
- Sagapuram, D., Efe, M., Moscoso, W., Chandrasekar, S., & Trumble, K. P. (2014). Non‐Basal Textures in Magnesium Alloy Strips Produced by Extrusionmachining. Essential Readings in Magnesium Technology. (pp. 395-399). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Sagapuram, D., Efe, M., Moscoso, W., Chandrasekar, S., & Trumble, K. P. (2012). Non-Basal Textures in Magnesium Alloy Strips Produced by Extrusion-Machining. Magnesium Technology 2012. (pp. 121-125). Springer International Publishing.
- Yadav, S., & Sagapuram, D. (2019). Nucleation and Boundary Layer Growth of Shear Bands in Machining.
- Yadav, S., Murthy, T. G., & Sagapuram, D. (2018). An Experimental Study of Wedge Indentation of Porous Solids: Implications for Cutting and Drilling Processes. 2, v002t04a030-v002t04a030.
- Sagapuram, D., & Viswanathan, K. (2018). Viscous Shear Banding in Cutting of Metals. 2, v002t04a032-v002t04a032.
- Kuttolamadom, M., Liu, M. A., Wang, J., Tai, B. L., Noynaert, S. F., Sagapuram, D., & Kennedy, M. S. (2018). Interdisciplinary research experiences for undergraduates in metrology and non-destructive inspection. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2018-June,
- Yadav, S., Sagapuram, D., & Murthy, T. G. (2017). A Comparative Study of Indentation Deformation Fields in Porous Ductile and Brittle Solids. 945-951.