- Assistant Professor, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Dr. Galloway-Pena's studies incorporate the genetic basis of pathogenesis as well as the molecular epidemiology of clinically relevant gram-positive pathogens, focusing on those with multi-drug resistance. She has more recently shifted her focus to microbiome dynamics during cancer treatment and the intense antibiotic therapy seen in the hematological malignancy setting to determine the microbiome's impact on cancer treatment outcomes, toxicities, and colonization/infection by antibiotic resistant organisms. Applications of her research include determining genetic and chemical markers for microbial diversity that can be used in the clinical setting, designing predictive risk models for antibiotic resistant infectious risk during chemotherapy, and promoting antimicrobial stewardship and microbial conscious treatment.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 2013
- B.A. in Biology, Cum Laude, Our Lady of the Lake University - (San Antonio, Texas, United States) 2006
- Schwabkey, Z. I., Wiesnoski, D. H., Chang, C., Tsai, W., Pham, D., Ahmed, S. S., ... Jenq, R. R. (2022). Diet-derived metabolites and mucus link the gut microbiome to fever after cytotoxic cancer treatment.. Sci Transl Med. 14(671), eabo3445.
- Hayase, E., Hayase, T., Jamal, M. A., Miyama, T., Chang, C., Ortega, M. R., ... Jenq, R. R. (2022). Mucus-degrading Bacteroides link carbapenems to aggravated graft-versus-host disease.. Cell. (20), 3705-3719.e14.
- Franklin, S., Aitken, S. L., Shi, Y., Sahasrabhojane, P. V., Robinson, S., Peterson, C. B., ... Galloway-Pea, J. (2022). Oral and Stool Microbiome Coalescence and Its Association With Antibiotic Exposure in Acute Leukemia Patients.. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 848580.
- Aitken, S. L., Sahasrabhojane, P. V., Kontoyiannis, D. P., Savidge, T. C., Arias, C. A., Ajami, N. J., Shelburne, S. A., & Galloway-Pea, J. R. (2021). Alterations of the Oral Microbiome and Cumulative Carbapenem Exposure Are Associated With Stenotrophomonas maltophilia Infection in Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukemia Receiving Chemotherapy.. Clin Infect Dis. 72(9), 1507-1513.
- DebRoy, S., Shropshire, W. C., Tran, C. N., Hao, H., Gohel, M., Galloway-Pea, J., ... Shelburne, S. A. (2021). Characterization of the Type I Restriction Modification System Broadly Conserved among Group A Streptococci.. mSphere. (6), e0079921-e00721.
Repository Documents / Preprints3
- Schwabkey, Z., Wiesnoski, D. H., Chang, C., Tsai, W., Pham, D., Ahmed, S. S., ... Jenq, R. R. (2021). Diet-derived metabolites and mucus link the gut microbiome to fever after cytotoxic cancer treatment.
- Zhang, Y., Wang, J., Shen, J., Galloway-Pena, J., Shelburne, S., Wang, L., & Hu, J. (2021). Inverse Probability Weighting-based Mediation Analysis for Microbiome Data.
- Shropshire, W. C., Aitken, S. L., Pifer, R., Kim, J., Bhatti, M. M., Li, X., ... Shelburne, S. A. (2019). Concurrence of Porin Loss and Modular Amplification of -Lactamase Encoding Genes Drives Carbapenem Resistance in a Cohort of Recurrent Enterobacterales Bacteremia.