Dr. Gan's current research centers on the economics of bioenergy and natural and human disturbances including climate change, wildfire, pest infestation, and invasion of alien species as related to forest resource management/conservation. He is also keen in issues related to forest product trade, forestry governance, and socially or economically disadvantaged forestland owners. In addition, he has research experience in bioenergy and sustainable forest management in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- Lewison, R. L., Johnson, A. F., Gan, J., Pelc, R., Westfall, K., & Helvey, M. (2019). Accounting for unintended consequences of resource policy: Connecting research that addresses displacement of environmental impacts. Conservation Letters. e12628-e12628.
- Wolde, B., Lal, P., Burli, P., Iranah, P., Munsell, J., Gan, J., & Taylor, E. (2018). Adapting extension and outreach content to audiences' educational interests. Journal of Extension. 56(3),
- Park, J. H., Lee, D. K., Gan, J., Park, C., Kim, S., Sung, S., Jung, T. Y., & Hong, S. C. (2018). Effects of climate change and ozone concentration on the net primary productivity of forests in South Korea. FORESTS. 9(3),
- Wu, Z., Zhou, C., Zhou, X., Hu, X., & Gan, J. (2018). Variability after 15 years of vegetation recovery in natural secondary forest with timber harvesting at different intensities in southeastern China: Community diversity and stability. FORESTS. 9(1),
- Stroman, D. A., Kreuter, U. P., & Gan, J. (2017). Balancing Property Rights and Social Responsibilities: Perspectives of Conservation Easement Landowners. RANGELAND ECOLOGY & MANAGEMENT. 70(3), 255-263.
- Gan, J. (2013). Comovement and cyclical patterns of southern pine beetle outbreaks. Environmental Modelling: New Research. (pp. 89-102).
- Gan, J., & McCarl, B. A. (2010). Forestry and carbon: Market, measurement, and management. Global Change and Forestry: Economic and Policy Impacts and Responses. (pp. 1-15).
- Gan, J. (2009). Comovement and cyclical patterns of southern pine beetle outbreaks. Environmental Modelling: New Research. (pp. 89-102).
- Gan, J. (2008). Economic potential of southern forests for energy production. 2, 696-720.
- Gan, J., & Smith, C. T. (2006). A comparative analysis of woody biomass and coal for electricity generation under various CO
2emission reductions and taxes. Biomass and Bioenergy. 30(4), 296-303.
- Doner, Yavuz (2018-12). Linking Multi-Year and Multi-Sensor Land Cover Data to Water Yield in the Nueces Headwaters Watershed of Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Huff, Juanita Katheryn (2016-08). Climate Change and Recreation: Impacts of Climate Change on Landscape Services Associated with Tourism in Big Bend National Park. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- An, Hyunjin (2015-12). Three Essays on Climate Change, Pine Beetle Risk, Forest Productivity and Forestland Value. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Stroman, Dianne A (2014-12). Assessing Perpetual Conservation Easements as a Tool for Land Protection: The Private Landowner Perspective. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chen, Wenjuan (2014-08). Impacts of Climate Conditions and Adaptations on Agricultural Output and Household Income in Inner Mongolia, China. (Doctoral Dissertation)