- Regents and Distinguished Professor, Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health
Her primary administrative role is serving as Founding Director of the University-wide Center for Population Health and Aging.
She also serves as Associate Vice President for Strategic Partnerships and Initiatives at the Health Science Center. As Founding Director of the Texas A&M Center for Population Health and Aging, she is working with an interdisciplinary cross-campus group to develop innovative research projects across public health, medicine, architecture, engineering and computer sciences that reframe healthy aging as the new normal.
She has been a primary investigator on multiple local, state and federally funded grants to implement and evaluate evidence-based interventions for promoting healthy lifestyle changes in midlife and older ages. As the National Program Director for Active for Life, she documented the success of behaviorally-based exercise programs for increasing physical activity in Americans 50 and older. She has also served as the national evaluator for the National Study of Chronic Disease Self-Management Program and has directed prevention and management of diabetes program evaluations, including the development and testing of a patient education DIOSK for providing education to low-literacy persons with diabetes. She has directed the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services adaptation and evaluation of the Texercise Program and overseen the local implementation and evaluation of the evidence-based Fit and Strong! program. Further, she has been an active member of the Texas Falls Prevention Coalition (now the Texas Active for Life Coalition) since its inception and has specialized expertise in evaluation of community-based fall prevention programs for vulnerable older adults, including A Matter of Balance, Otago, and Stepping On.
- M.P.H. in , Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States) 1981
- Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States), Postdoctoral Training
- Ph.D. in Family Studies and Sociology, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1976
- M.A. in Sociology and Human Development, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 1973
- B.A. in Sociology and Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1971
- Ory, M. G., Lee, S., Dahlke, D. V., Pardo, N., Zhong, L., McCord, C. E., Alonzo, J. P., & Smith, M. L. (2022). Physicians' interest in different strategies for supporting pain -management and opioid prescribing: A cross-sectional study.. Journal of Opioid Management: a medical journal of proper and adequate use. 18(6), 511-521.
- Lee, S., Lee, C., Xu, M., Li, W., & Ory, M. (2022). People living in disadvantaged areas faced greater challenges in staying active and using recreational facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.. Health and Place. 75, 102805-102805.
- Yoshikawa, A., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2021). Differential risk of falls associated with pain medication among community-dwelling older adults by cognitive status.. Age and Ageing. 50(5), 1578-1585.
- Zhao, H., Merchant, N. N., McNulty, A., Radcliff, T. A., Cote, M. J., Fischer, R., Sang, H., & Ory, M. G. (2021). COVID-19: Short term prediction model using daily incidence data.. PLoS One. 16(4), e0250110-e0250110.
- Vollmer Dahlke, D., Lee, S., Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Popovich, S., & Ory, M. G. (2021). Attitudes Toward Technology and Use of Fall Alert Wearables in Caregiving: Survey Study.. JMIR Aging. 4(1), e23381-e23381.
- COON, D. W., SCHULZ, R., & ORY, M. G. (1999). Innovative Intervention Approaches for Alzheimer's Disease Caregivers. Oxford University Press (OUP).
- Ory, M. G., Abeles, R. P., & Lipman, P. D. (1992). Aging, Health, and Behavior. SAGE Publications, Incorporated.
- Ojinnaka, C., Bolin, J. L., Nash, P., Ory, M., & McClellan, D. (2015). Cancer in Rural America. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, j. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020. Volume 2. 1-14. Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Towne, S. D., Lee, C., Smith, M. L., Pulczinski, J., Swierc, S. M., Coughlin, R., Roach, A., & Ory, M. G. (2015). Health-related Quality of Life & Well-Being. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020. Volume 2. 41-52. Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Towne, S. D., Smith, M. L., Pulczinski, J., Lee, C., & Ory, M. G. (2015). Older Adults. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020 Volume 1. 107-118. Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Bolin, J. L., Schulze, A., Helduser, J., & Ory, M. (2015). The Burden of Diabetes in Rural America. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020 Volume 1. 43-54. Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Ory, M. G., Towne, S. D., Stevens, A. B., Park, C. H., & Chodzko-Zajko, W. J. (2015). Implementing and Disseminating Exercise Programs for Older Adult Populations. Sullivan, M. G., & Pomidor, K. A. (Eds.), Exercise for Aging Adults. 139-150. Springer Nature.
- Dahlke, D., Smith, M. L., Han, G., Ory, M. G., & Cohen, E. (2019). Metastatic breast cancer alliance's patient education and access to trials: Perceptions and actions. Cancer Research. 79(4), p6-14-03-p6-14-03.
- Forjuoh, S. N., Bolin, J. N., Huber, C., Helduser, J. W., Begaye, D., Schimank, J., & Ory, M. G. (2018). Correlates of successful completion of the chronic disease self-management program by diabetics. Diabetes - Metabolism: Research and Reviews. 28, 102-102.
- Smith, M. L., Adler, C., Patel, A., Venigalla, S., Ahn, S., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HEALTHCARE-RELATED FRUSTRATIONS AMONG ADULTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS. Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 314-314.
- Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FALL PREVENTION INTERVENTION SUSTAINABILITY AFTER THE FUNDING ENDS. Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Shubert, T., Ory, M., Schneider, E. C., & Smith, M. L. (2016). INNOVATION AND FALL PREVENTION. Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
Repository Documents / Preprints2
- Lee, J., Foster, M. J., Bolin, J., Ory, M., Zho, H., Callaghan, T., & Oh, M. (2018). Association between depression and physical activity in type 2 diabetes, 2000-2018: a systematic review.
- Vollmer Dahlke, D., Lee, S., Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Popovich, S., & Ory, M. G. Attitudes Toward Technology and Use of Fall Alert Wearables in Caregiving: Survey Study (Preprint).
- Ory, M. (2021). How age diversity in a presidential Cabinet could affect policies and programs. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Ory, M. (2020). Grannys on Instagram! In the COVID-19 era, older adults see time differently and are doing better than younger people. - An article submitted to the conversation
- Casey II, W. T., Ory, M., & Fischer, R. (2020). Colleges and the Thanksgiving COVID-19 risk: Faucis right holiday plans may have to change. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Ory, M. G. (2020). Video: How will society change as the US population ages?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Ory, M., & Smith, M. L. (2020). Social isolation: The COVID-19 pandemics hidden health risk for older adults, and how to manage it. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- (1990). AIDS in an Aging Society: What We Need to Know. 942-943.
- (1991). Aging and Health Care: Social Science and Policy Perspectives.. 468-468.
- (1994). Aging and Quality of Life. Springer Publishing Company.
- (1992). Aging, Health, and Behavior.. 863-863.
- Surge raises suspicions migrants are propelling COVID-19 outbreaks The Washington Examiner July 29, 2021
- Local health expert advises you to get tested before the holidays KAGS TV November 19, 2020
- Thanksgiving vs. COVID-19 Coronado Times October 16, 2020
- How Will Society Change As the U.S. Population Ages? Texas A&M Today September 28, 2020
- September 21 is Falls Prevention Week KAGS TV September 18, 2020
- Obesity, Stress, and Neuromuscular Function in the Elderly awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Institute On Aging 2015 - 2018
- HPCH672 Smnr:public Hlth Interventions Instructor
- HPCH685 Directed Study Instructor
- HPCH686 Directed Research Instructor
- HPCH689 Sptp:hlth Aging & Public Hlth Instructor
- HPCH691 Research Instructor