The main research focus of my lab is to understand how environmental (temperature, hypoxia, salinity) and anthropogenic (pharmaceuticals, contaminants) stressors affect animal physiology. In particular, we are interested in understanding cardiovascular, respiratory, reproductive and metabolic responses to stressors. We study effects of short (few hours/days) and long-term (weeks) stressors (individual or multiple) at all levels of biological organization (molecular, cellular, organ and whole-organism), and developmental stages (early life stage to adult). Understanding how perturbations in the animal's environment mechanistically affect survival is important in assisting conservation efforts. We are currently studying physiological responses in American alligators and local Gulf of Mexico fish species.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Memorial University of Newfoundland - (St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada) 2010
- M.S. in Biology, University of Southern Denmark - (Odense, Syddanmark, Denmark) 2001
- B.S. in Biology, University of Southern Denmark - (Odense, Syddanmark, Denmark) 1997
- Faulkner, P. C., Elsey, R. M., Hala, D., & Petersen, L. H (2021). Correlations between environmental salinity levels, blood biochemistry parameters, and steroid hormones in wild juvenile American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis).. Sci Rep. 11(1), 15168.
- Hala, D., Faulkner, P., He, K., Kamalanathan, M., Brink, M., Simons, K., ... Qian, X. (2021). An integrated in vivo and in silico analysis of the metabolism disrupting effects of CPI-613 on embryo-larval zebrafish (Danio rerio).. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 248, 109084-109084.
- Grimes, C. J., Petersen, L. H., & Schulze, A. (2021). Differential gene expression indicates modulated responses to chronic and intermittent hypoxia in corallivorous fireworms (Hermodice carunculata).. Sci Rep. 11(1), 11110.
- Thibault, O., Cubbage, T., Brink, M., McCarthy, J., Gunn, C., Torres, I., ... Petersen, L. H (2021). The pharmaceutical prednisone affects sheepshead minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus) metabolism and swimming performance.. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 253, 110851-110851.
- Grimes, C. J., Capps, C., Petersen, L. H., & Schulze, A. (2020). Oxygen consumption during and post-hypoxia exposure in bearded fireworms (Annelida: Amphinomidae).. J Comp Physiol B. 190(6), 681-689.
- Faulkner, P. C., Elsey, R., Hala, D., & Petersen, L. H (2021). Physiological effects of salinity stress in wild American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis). INTEGRATIVE AND COMPARATIVE BIOLOGY. 61, E248-E249.