The main goal of our laboratory is to understand the molecular mechanisms of cardiac muscle dynamics in normal and diseased states. Particularly, our interests focus on the relationships between thin filament activation and crossbridge kinetics, and how the mechanotransduction signaling transmits to myofilament activation. We use multiple techniques, molecular, cellular, biochemistry, structural and biophysical, to obtain information on the fundamental regulatory mechanisms of cardiac muscle contraction.
- University of Cincinnati - (Cincinnati, Ohio, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1994
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1989
- M.Sc. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1983
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1980
- Diebold, R. J., Koch, W. J., Ellinor, P. T., Wang, J. J., Muthuchamy, M., Wieczorek, D. F., & Schwartz, A. (1992). Mutually exclusive exon splicing of the cardiac calcium channel alpha 1 subunit gene generates developmentally regulated isoforms in the rat heart.. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 89(4), 1497-1501.
- Pajak, L., Mariappan, M., & Wieczorek, D. F. (1991). Reprogramming of myosin light chain 1/3 expression in muscle heterokaryons.. DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY. 145(1), 28-39.
- Mariappan, M., Selvamurugan, N., & Rajamanickam, C. (1990). Purification and characterization of a high-molecular-weight protein induced in rat serum during the development of cardiac hypertrophy.. ARCHIVES OF BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOPHYSICS. 281(2), 287-297.
- Kamala, J., Mariappan, M., & Rajamanickam, C. (1986). Changes associated with rat heart chromatin during cardiac hypertrophy.. Biochemistry International. 13(2), 271-286.