The main goal of our laboratory is to understand the molecular mechanisms of cardiac muscle dynamics in normal and diseased states. Particularly, our interests focus on the relationships between thin filament activation and crossbridge kinetics, and how the mechanotransduction signaling transmits to myofilament activation. We use multiple techniques, molecular, cellular, biochemistry, structural and biophysical, to obtain information on the fundamental regulatory mechanisms of cardiac muscle contraction.
- University of Cincinnati - (Cincinnati, Ohio, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1994
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1989
- M.Sc. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1983
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1980
- Lee, Y., Chakraborty, S., Meininger, C. J., & Muthuchamy, M. (2018). Insulin resistance disrupts cell integrity, mitochondrial function, and inflammatory signaling in lymphatic endothelium. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 25(7), e12492-e12492.
- Lopez Gelston, C. A., Balasubbramanian, D., Abouelkheir, G. R., Lopez, A. H., Hudson, K. R., Johnson, E. R., ... Rutkowski, J. M. (2018). Enhancing Renal Lymphatic Expansion Prevents Hypertension in Mice. Circulation Research. 122(8), 1094-1101.
- Al-Kofahi, M., Omura, S., Tsunoda, I., Sato, F., Becker, F., Gavins, F., ... Alexander, J. S. (2018). IL-1β reduces cardiac lymphatic muscle contraction via COX-2 and PGE2 induction: Potential role in myocarditis. BIOMEDICINE & PHARMACOTHERAPY. 107, 1591-1600.
- Kim, J., Chakraborty, S., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Muthuchamy, M., & Patil, B. S. (2017). Citrus nomilin down-regulates TNF-α-induced proliferation of aortic smooth muscle cells via apoptosis and inhibition of IκB. European Journal of Pharmacology. 811, 93-100.
- Lee, Y., Fluckey, J. D., Chakraborty, S., & Muthuchamy, M. (2017). Hyperglycemia‐ and hyperinsulinemia‐induced insulin resistance causes alterations in cellular bioenergetics and activation of inflammatory signaling in lymphatic muscle. The FASEB Journal. 31(7), 2744-2759.