Community Health Development is a domain at the intersection of Community Development, Health Promotion, and Public Health. As Founding Director and Co-PI of the Center for Community Health Development my research interests focus on learning how to more effectively increase community problem-solving capacity. Using the Partnership Approach, a socio-ecological framework and social determinants of health perspective, our projects examine factors influencing population health status and intervention strategies to improve health status and access to care. A key component of these activities are community health status assessments both as a data collection tool and community organizing focal point.
- Dr.P.H. in Health Education/Health Behavior, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1979
- M.P.H. in Community Health Education, California State University, Northridge - (Northridge, California, United States) 1972
- Wendel, M., Burdine, J. N., Clark, H., McKyer, E., & Mitchell, R. L. (2020). Kenneth R. McLeroy, PhD, MS (1947–2020). Health Education & Behavior. 47(6), 927-928.
- Prochaska, J. D., Jupiter, D. C., Horel, S., Vardeman, J., & Burdine, J. N. (2020). Rural-urban differences in estimated life expectancy associated with neighborhood-level cumulative social and environmental determinants. PREVENTIVE MEDICINE. 139, 106214-106214.
- Appiah, B., Burdine, J. N., Cummings, S., Poudyal, A., Hutchison, R. W., Forjuoh, S. N., & McLeroy, K. R. (2020). The effect of health‐related information seeking and financial strain on medication nonadherence among patients with diabetes and/or hypertension in central Texas. Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research. 11(3), 261-268.
- Zhang, X., Mkuu, R., Samman, E., Cummings, S., Sherman, L., Wigfall, L. T., Wilkinson, L., & Burdine, J. N. (2019). Anxiety and depressive symptoms and missing breast cancer and cervical screening: results from Brazos valley community health survey. Psychology Health & Medicine. 25(4), 1-8.
- Callaghan, T., Washburn, D. J., Nimmons, K., Duchicela, D., Gurram, A., & Burdine, J. (2019). Immigrant health access in Texas: policy, rhetoric, and fear in the Trump era. BMC Health Services Research. 19(1), 342.
- Wendel, M. L., Alaniz, A., Kelly, B. N., Clark, H. R., Drake, K. N., Outley, C. W., ... Burdine, J. N. (2012). Capacity Building in Rural Communities. Crosby, R. A., Wendel, M. L., Vanderpool, R. C., & Casey, B. R. (Eds.), Rural Populations and Health Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. (pp. 215-234). JOhn Wiley & Sons.
- Burdine, J. N., Clark, H. R., Shea, L. J., Appiah, B., & Hollas, C. N. (2012). Health assessment in rural communities: a critical organizing and capacity-building tool. Crosby, R. A., Wendel, M. L., Vanderpool, R. C., & Casey, B. R. (Eds.), Rural Populations and Health Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. (pp. 171-190). JOhn Wiley & Sons.
- Wendel, M. L., Burdine, J. N., McLeroy, K. R., Alaniz, A., Norton, B. L., & Felix, M. (2009). Community Capacity: Theory and Application. DiClemente, R. J., Crosby, R. A., & Kegler, M. (Eds.), Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research, 2nd Edition. (pp. 277-302). Josey-Bass Wiley.
- Norton, B. L., McLeroy, K. R., Burdine, J. N., Felix, M., & Dorsey, A. M. (2002). Community Capacity Concept Theory and Methods. DiClimente, R. J., Crosby, R. A., & Kegler, M. C. (Eds.), Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research Strategies for Improving Public Health. (pp. 194-227). Josey-Bass Publishers.
- Burdine, J. N., & Felix, M. (1999). The Social Reconnaissance Approach for Understanding Women’s Health. James, G. (Eds.), Winning in the Women's Health Care Marketplace: A Comprehensive Plan for Health Care Strategists. (pp. 111-133). Josey-Bass.
- Salinas, Manisha Gautam (2017-08). Examining the Community Health Needs of Bhutanese Refugees in the United States. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Appiah, Bernard (2013-12). Promoting Blood Donation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Role of Culture and Interventions. (Doctoral Dissertation)