Community Health Development is a domain at the intersection of Community Development, Health Promotion, and Public Health. As Director of the Center for Community Health Development my research interests focus on learning how to more effectively increase community problem-solving capacity. Using the Partnership Approach, a socio-ecological framework and social determinants of health perspective, our projects examine factors influencing population health status and intervention strategies to improve health status and access to care. A key component of these activities are community health status assessments both as a data collection tool and community organizing focal point.
- Dr.P.H. in Health Education/Health Behavior, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1979
- M.P.H. in Community Health Education, California State University, Northridge - (Northridge, California, United States) 1972
- Appiah, B., Poudyal, A., Burdine, J. N., Asamoah-Akuoko, L., Anum, D. A., Kretchy, I. A., ... McKyer, E. (2019). Factors that influence the intention to use mobile phone caller tunes for patient reporting of adverse drug reactions: a qualitative study. THERAPEUTIC ADVANCES IN DRUG SAFETY. 10, 204209861987119-204209861987119.
- Callaghan, T., Washburn, D. J., Nimmons, K., Duchicela, D., Gurram, A., & Burdine, J. (2019). Immigrant health access in Texas: policy, rhetoric, and fear in the Trump era. BMC HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH. 19(1), 342.
- Zhang, X., Mkuu, R., Samman, E., Cummings, S., Sherman, L., Wigfall, L. T., Wilkinson, L., & Burdine, J. N. (2019). Anxiety and depressive symptoms and missing breast cancer and cervical screening: results from Brazos valley community health survey. PSYCHOLOGY HEALTH & MEDICINE. 1-8.
- Appiah, B., Burdine, J. N., Aftab, A., Asamoah-Akuoko, L., Anum, D. A., Kretchy, I. A., ... Bates, I. (2018). Determinants of Intention to Use Mobile Phone Caller Tunes to Promote Voluntary Blood Donation: Cross-Sectional Study. JMIR MHEALTH AND UHEALTH. 6(5), e117-e117.
- Garney, W. R., Wendel, M., McLeroy, K., Alaniz, A., Cunningham, G., Castle, B., Ingram, M., & Burdine, J. (2017). Using a Community Health Development Framework to Increase Community Capacity A Multiple Case Study. Family & Community Health. 40(1), 18-23.
- Burdine, J. N., Clark, H. R., Shea, L. J., Appiah, B., & Hollas, C. N. (2012). Health assessment in rural communities: a critical organizing and capacity-building tool. Crosby, R. A., Wendel, M. L., Vanderpool, R. C., & Casey, B. R. (Eds.), Rural Populations and Health Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. (pp. 171-190). John Wiley & Sons.
- Wendel, M. L., Alaniz, A., Kelly, B. N., Clark, H. R., Drake, K. N., Outley, C. W., ... Burdine, J. N. (2012). Capacity Building in Rural Communities. Crosby, R. A., Wendel, M. L., Vanderpool, R. C., & Casey, B. R. (Eds.), Rural Populations and Health Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. (pp. 215-234). John Wiley & Sons.
- Wendel, M. L., Burdine, J. N., McLeroy, K. R., Alaniz, A., Norton, B. L., & Felix, M. (2009). Community Capacity: Theory and Application. DiClemente, R. J., Crosby, R. A., & Kegler, M. (Eds.), Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research, 2nd Edition. (pp. 277-302). Josey-Bass Wiley.
- Norton, B. L., McLeroy, K. R., Burdine, J. N., Felix, M., & Dorsey, A. M. (2002). Community Capacity Concept Theory and Methods. DiClimente, R. J., Crosby, R. A., & Kegler, M. C. (Eds.), Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research Strategies for Improving Public Health. (pp. 194-227). Josey-Bass Publishers.
- Burdine, J. N., & Felix, M. (1999). The Social Reconnaissance Approach for Understanding Women’s Health. James, G. (Eds.), Winning in the Women's Health Care Marketplace: A Comprehensive Plan for Health Care Strategists. (pp. 111-133). Josey-Bass.
- Salinas, Manisha Gautam (2017-08). Examining the Community Health Needs of Bhutanese Refugees in the United States. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Appiah, Bernard (2013-12). Promoting Blood Donation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Role of Culture and Interventions. (Doctoral Dissertation)