My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Srinivasan, R., Huang, S., Chaudhry, S., Sculptoreanu, A., Krisky, D., Cascio, M., ... Glorioso, J. C. (2007). An HSV vector system for selection of ligand-gated ion channel modulators. Nature Methods. 4(9), 733-739.
- Srinivasan, R., Sculptoreanu, A., Wolfe, D., Wechuck, J., Watkins, S., de Groat, W. C., & Glorioso, J. C. (2006). 1071. Development and Characterization of HSV-1 Vector-Expressed Dominant Negative PKC epsilon for Pain Therapy. MOLECULAR THERAPY. 13, s411-S411.
- Srinivasan, R., Wolfe, D., Huang, S., Krisky, D., Sculptoreanu, A., Friedman, P. A., de Groat, W. C., & Glorioso, J. C. (2006). 164. HSV-1 Vector-Based Assay To Identify Inhibitors of the Vanilloid Receptor. MOLECULAR THERAPY. 13, s63-s64.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.