My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Xu, J. i., Chai, H., Ehinger, K., Egan, T. M., Srinivasan, R., Frick, M., & Khakh, B. S. (2014). Imaging P2X4 receptor subcellular distribution, trafficking, and regulation using P2X4-pHluorinOptical tool to study P2X4 receptor trafficking. JOURNAL OF GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY. 144(1), 81-104.
- Henderson, B. J., Srinivasan, R., Nichols, W. A., Dilworth, C. N., Gutierrez, D. F., Mackey, E., ... Lester, H. A. (2014). Nicotine exploits a COPI-mediated process for chaperone-mediated up-regulation of its receptorsNicotine exploits COPI for up-regulation. JOURNAL OF GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY. 143(1), 51-66.
- Srinivasan, R., Henderson, B. J., Lester, H. A., & Richards, C. I. (2014). Pharmacological chaperoning of nAChRs: A therapeutic target for Parkinson's disease. Pharmacological Research. 83, 20-29.
- Henley, B. M., Williams, B. A., Srinivasan, R., Cohen, B. N., Xiao, C., Mackey, E., Wold, B. J., & Lester, H. A. (2013). Transcriptional regulation by nicotine in dopaminergic neurons. Biochem Pharmacol. 86(8), 1074-1083.
- Richards, C. I., Luong, K., Srinivasan, R., Turner, S. W., Dougherty, D. A., Korlach, J., & Lester, H. A. (2012). Live-cell imaging of single receptor composition using zero-mode waveguide nanostructures.. NANO LETTERS. 12(7), 3690-3694.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.