My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Bancroft, E., Srinivasan, R., & Shapiro, L. A. (2020). Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor Alters Functional Properties of CA1 Hippocampal Neurons in Mouse Brain Slices. International journal of molecular sciences. 21(1), 276-276.
- Henley, B. M., Cohen, B. N., Kim, C. H., Gold, H. D., Srinivasan, R., McKinney, S., Deshpande, P., & Lester, H. A. (2017). Reliable Identification of Living Dopaminergic Neurons in Midbrain Cultures Using RNA Sequencing and TH-promoter-driven eGFP Expression.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. 2017(120),
- Srinivasan, R., Lu, T., Chai, H., Xu, J. i., Huang, B. S., Golshani, P., Coppola, G., & Khakh, B. S. (2016). New Transgenic Mouse Lines for Selectively Targeting Astrocytes and Studying Calcium Signals in Astrocyte Processes In Situ and In Vivo. NEURON. 92(6), 1181-1195.
- Srinivasan, R., Huang, B. S., Venugopal, S., Johnston, A. D., Chai, H., Zeng, H., Golshani, P., & Khakh, B. S. (2015). Ca2+ signaling in astrocytes from Ip3r2−/− mice in brain slices and during startle responses in vivo. Nature Neuroscience. 18(5), 708-717.
- Xu, J. i., Chai, H., Ehinger, K., Egan, T. M., Srinivasan, R., Frick, M., & Khakh, B. S. (2014). Imaging P2X4 receptor subcellular distribution, trafficking, and regulation using P2X4-pHluorinOptical tool to study P2X4 receptor trafficking. JOURNAL OF GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY. 144(1), 81-104.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.
- BICH491 Hnr-research Instructor
- BICH491 Research Instructor
- BIOL485 Directed Studies Instructor
- GENE491 Hnr-research Instructor
- GENE491 Research Instructor
- HLTH491 Research Instructor
- MSCI681 Host Pathgn Intrfce Jrnl Club Instructor
- MSCI681 Seminar Instructor
- MSCI691 Research Credit: Medical Sci Instructor
- NRSC485 Directed Studies Instructor
- NRSC485 Hnr-directed Studies Instructor
- NRSC491 Hnr-research Instructor
- NRSC491 Research Instructor
- NRSC601 Princ Neuro I Instructor
- NRSC685 Directed Studies Instructor
- NRSC691 Research Instructor