My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Srinivasan, R., Pantoja, R., Moss, F. J., Mackey, E., Son, C. D., Miwa, J., & Lester, H. A. (2011). Nicotine up-regulates α4β2 nicotinic receptors and ER exit sites via stoichiometry-dependent chaperoningVisualizing subcellular events in nAChR up-regulation. JOURNAL OF GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY. 137(1), 59-79.
- Richards, C. I., Srinivasan, R., Xiao, C., Mackey, E., Miwa, J. M., & Lester, H. A. (2011). Trafficking of α4* Nicotinic Receptors Revealed by Superecliptic Phluorin EFFECTS OF A β4 AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS-ASSOCIATED MUTATION AND CHRONIC EXPOSURE TO NICOTINE. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 286(36), 31241-31249.
- Srinivasan, R., Pantoja, R., Kadambi, S., & Lester, H. A. (2009). Cellular Basis Of Nicotine-induced nAChr Upregulation. Biophys J. 96(3), 165a-165a.
- Pantoja, R., Srinivasan, R., Moss, F. J., Kadambi, S., Imoukhuede, I., & Lester, H. A. (2009). Characterizing Nicotine-Induced α4∗ nAChR Upregulation with Fluorescence Microscopy. Biophys J. 96(3), 105a-105a.
- Lester, H. A., Xiao, C., Srinivasan, R., Son, C. D., Miwa, J., Pantoja, R., ... Wang, J. C. (2009). Nicotine is a Selective Pharmacological Chaperone of Acetylcholine Receptor Number and Stoichiometry. Implications for Drug Discovery. AAPS Journal. 11(1), 167-177.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.