My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Srinivasan, R., Fink, D. J., & Glorioso, J. C. (2008). HSV vectors for gene therapy of chronic pain.. Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics. 10(5), 449-455.
- Srinivasan, R., Wolfe, D., Goss, J., Watkins, S., De Groat, W. C., Sculptoreanu, A., & Glorioso, J. C. (2008). Protein kinase C epsilon contributes to basal and sensitizing responses of TRPV1 to capsaicin in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. European Journal of Neuroscience. 28(7), 1241-1254.
- Srinivasan, R., Huang, S., Chaudhry, S., Sculptoreanu, A., Krisky, D., Cascio, M., ... Glorioso, J. C. (2007). An HSV vector system for selection of ligand-gated ion channel modulators. Nature Methods. 4(9), 733-739.
- Wolfe, D., Hao, S., Hu, J., Srinivasan, R., Goss, J., Mata, M., Fink, D. J., & Glorioso, J. C. (2007). Engineering an endomorphin-2 gene for use in neuropathic pain therapy. PAIN. 133(1-3), 29-38.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.