My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Henderson, B. J., Srinivasan, R., Nichols, W. A., Dilworth, C. N., Gutierrez, D. F., Mackey, E., ... Lester, H. A. (2014). Nicotine exploits a COPI-mediated process for chaperone-mediated up-regulation of its receptors.. JOURNAL OF GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY. 143(1), 51-66.
- Richards, C. I., Luong, K., Srinivasan, R., Turner, S. W., Dougherty, D. A., Korlach, J., & Lester, H. A. (2012). Live-cell imaging of single receptor composition using zero-mode waveguide nanostructures.. NANO LETTERS. 12(7), 3690-3694.
- Murray, T. A., Bertrand, D., Papke, R. L., George, A. A., Pantoja, R., Srinivasan, R., ... Lukas, R. J. (2012). α7β2 Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors Assemble, Function, and Are Activated Primarily via Their α7-α7 Interfaces. MOLECULAR PHARMACOLOGY. 81(2), 175-188.
- Xiao, C., Srinivasan, R., Drenan, R. M., Mackey, E., McIntosh, J. M., & Lester, H. A. (2011). Characterizing functional α6β2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in vitro: Mutant β2 subunits improve membrane expression, and fluorescent proteins reveal responsive cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 82(8), 852-861.
- Lester, H. A., Xiao, C., Srinivasan, R., Son, C. D., Miwa, J., Pantoja, R., ... Wang, J. C. (2009). Nicotine is a Selective Pharmacological Chaperone of Acetylcholine Receptor Number and Stoichiometry. Implications for Drug Discovery. AAPS Journal. 11(1), 167-177.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.