education and training
- Ph.D. in Education, Colorado State University - (Fort Collins, Colorado, United States) 2015
- M.A. in Experimental Psychology, New Mexico State University - (Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States) 2007
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Maine at Farmington - (Farmington, Maine, United States) 2000
- Wickens, C. D., Hutchins, S. D., Laux, L., & Sebok, A (2015). The Impact of Sleep Disruption on Complex Cognitive Tasks: A Meta-Analysis.. Hum Factors. 57(6), 930-946.
- Wickens, C. D., Laux, L., Hutchins, S., & Sebok, A (2014). Effects of sleep restriction, sleep inertia, and overload on complex cognitive performance before and after workload transition. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting. 58(1), 839-843.
- Carolan, T. F., Hutchins, S. D., Wickens, C. D., & Cumming, J. M (2014). Costs and benefits of more learner freedom: meta-analyses of exploratory and learner control training methods.. Hum Factors. 56(5), 999-1014.
- Hutchins, S. D., Carolan, T. F., Plott, B. M., McDermott, P. L., & Orvis, K. A (2014). Development of the TARGET Training Effectiveness Tool and Underlying Algorithms Specifying Training Method - Performance Outcome Relationships.
- Plott, B. M., McDermott, P. L., Archer, S., Carolan, T. F., Hutchins, S., Fisher, A., ... Orvis, K. A (2014). Understanding the Impact of Training on Performance.
- Wickens, C., Hutchins, S., Carolan, T., & Cumming, J (2012). Attention and Cognitive Resource Load in Training Strategies. Healy, A. F., & Bourne JR, L. E. (Eds.), Training Cognition Optimizing Efficiency, Durability, and Generalizability. 67-88. Psychology Press.
- Hutchins, S., Josephson, J. R., Barnes, M., Chandrasekaran, B., McDermott, P., & Miller, T (2009). An interactive decision support architecture for visualizing robust solutions in high risk military environments. McDermott, P., & Allender, L. (Eds.), Advanced Decision Architectures for the Warfighter : Foundations and Technology. 201-218. Alion Science and Technology.
- Rothrock, L., Park, S., Barnes, M. J., McDermott, P., Hutchins, S., & Gillan, D (2003). Systematic analysis of risk visualization strategies for homeland defense. SMC'03 Conference Proceedings. 2003 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. Conference Theme - System Security and Assurance (Cat. No.03CH37483), SMC '03 2003 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. 3, 2083-2088.
awards and honors
- Division H Outstanding Publication conferred by American Educational Research Association - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States) - Category 2 Program Evaluation 2019
- Division H Outstanding Publication conferred by American Educational Research Association - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States) - Category 1b, Applied Research, Reports 2016
recent teaching activities
Texas A&M University; Teaching, Learning And Culture (Tlac); 4232 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4232