My laboratory works in two research areas. First, we are combining biophysical and genetic approaches to understand how proteins use unstructured regions to sense cellular information and respond by adjusting their function. We developed methods to purify Ultrabithorax, a full-length, active Hox transcription factor, and have used this unique opportunity to investigate the role of intramolecular regulatory interactions in tissue-specific protein regulation. Second, we discovered methods to self-assemble Ultrabithorax into robust, extensible materials that are biocompatible and provide unique opportunities for functionalization. These materials are being developed for use as biosensors and to pattern and instruct vascularization in tissue engineering scaffolds.
- Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2003
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 1998
- B.S. in Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1993
- Dunker, A. K., Bondos, S. E., Huang, F., & Oldfield, C. J. (2015). Intrinsically disordered proteins and multicellular organisms. SEMINARS IN CELL & DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY. 37, 44-55.
- Niklas, K. J., Bondos, S. E., Dunker, A. K., & Newman, S. A. (2015). Rethinking gene regulatory networks in light of alternative splicing, intrinsically disordered protein domains, and post-translational modifications.. Frontiers in cell and developmental biology. 3, 8.
- Tsai, S. P., Howell, D. W., Huang, Z., Hsiao, H. C., Lu, Y., Matthews, K. S., Lou, J., & Bondos, S. E. (2015). The Effect of Protein Fusions on the Production and Mechanical Properties of Protein-Based Materials. Advanced Functional Materials.
- Hsiao, H., Gonzalez, K. L., Jr, C., Jordy, K. E., Matthews, K. S., & Bondos, S. E. (2014). The Intrinsically Disordered Regions of the Drosophila melanogaster Hox Protein Ultrabithorax Select Interacting Proteins Based on Partner Topology. PLoS ONE. 9(10), e108217-e108217.
- Patterson, J. L., Abbey, C. A., Bayless, K. J., & Bondos, S. E. (2014). Materials composed of the Drosophila melanogaster protein ultrabithorax are cytocompatible. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 102(1), 97-104.
- Churion, K., Liu, Y., Hsiao, H., Matthews, K. S., & Bondos, S. E. (2014). Measuring Hox-DNA binding by electrophoretic mobility shift analysis.. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). Methods in Molecular Biology. (pp. 211-230). Springer New York.
- Bondos, S. E., & Churion, K. A. (2012). Identifying solubility-promoting buffers for intrinsically proteins prior to purification. Uversky, V. N., & Dunker, A. K. (Eds.), Intrinsically Disordered Protein Analysis Volume 2, Methods and Experimental Tools. (pp. 415-427). Humana Press.
- Bondos, S. E., & Hsiao, H. (2012). ROLES FOR INTRINSIC DISORDER AND FUZZINESS IN GENERATING CONTEXT-SPECIFIC FUNCTION IN ULTRABITHORAX, A HOX TRANSCRIPTION FACTOR. MATHEMATICAL MODELLING IN EXPERIMENTAL NUTRITION. Fuxreiter, M., & Tompa, P. (Eds.), FUZZINESS: STRUCTURAL DISORDER IN PROTEIN COMPLEXES. (pp. 86-105). Springer Us.
- Bondos, S. E. (2019). The critical role of intrinsic disorder in creating bioactive materials. Journal of biomolecular structure & dynamics. 37, 10-11.
- Banerjee, S., Jordan, T. B., Fraser, K., Reimertz, J., Crone, E. E., Bunn, A. L., ... Bystroff, C. (2019). Computationally Guided Rational Design of LOO-GFP Biosensors and Biosensor Materials. Biophys J. 116(3), 443A-443A.
- Liu, Y., Huang, A., Booth, R., Mendes, G., Merchant, Z., Matthews, K. S., & Bondos, S. E. (2019). Evolution of the Intrinsically Disordered Activation Domain in a Hox Transcription Factor. Biophys J. 116(3), 178A-179A.
- Booth, R. M., Churion, K., Alvarez, A. J., Ramasamy, S., & Bondos, S. E. (2019). Dna delivery to cells by ultabithorax protein-based materials. Transactions of the Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials and the Annual International Biomaterials Symposium. 40, 571.
- Mendes, G. G., Howell, D. W., Tsai, S. P., Bayless, K. J., & Bondos, S. E. (2019). Engineering ubx-based materials to promote and guide neovascularization. Transactions of the Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials and the Annual International Biomaterials Symposium. 40, 26.
- Hsiao, Hao-Ching (2015-05). Protein Interactions in Regulation and Assembly. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Schultz, Robbie (2015-05). From Signaling to Structure: Regulation of Extracellular Matrix in C. (elegans. Doctoral Dissertation)