My broad research interests are concerned with the sensory perception of the external chemical world. The central questions investigated in our laboratory are concerned with how animals detect and discriminate among the thousands of different chemical signals that \"flood\" the olfactory and taste organs. Our laboratory uses Drosophila as a model to study these problems because the Drosophilachemosensory systems are structurally and functionally very similar to those of mammals, yet they are smaller and somewhat less complex, which makes them excellent models to investigate the molecular and neural basis of olfaction and taste.
- Columbia University - (New York, New York, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1998
- Harvard University - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1991
- Ph.D. in Molecular Genetics, University of Zurich - (Zurich, Switzerland) 1989
- B.S. in Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of Zurich - (Zurich, Switzerland) 1983
- Ahn, J., Chen, Y., & Amrein, H. (2017). Molecular basis of fatty acid taste in Drosophila. Elife. 6, e30115.
- Fujii, S., Emery, P., & Amrein, H. (2017). SIK3–HDAC4 signaling regulates Drosophila circadian male sex drive rhythm via modulating the DN1 clock neurons. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 114(32), e6669-e6677.
- Amrein, H. (2015). An expression system for Gustatory receptors—And why it failed. 8(4), 232-233.
- Fujii, S., Yavuz, A., Slone, J., Jagge, C., Song, X., & Amrein, H. (2015). Drosophila Sugar Receptors in Sweet Taste Perception, Olfaction, and Internal Nutrient Sensing. Current biology : CB. 25(5), 621-627.
- Yavuz, A., Jagge, C., Slone, J., & Amrein, H. (2014). A genetic tool kit for cellular and behavioral analyses of insect sugar receptors.. FLY. 8(4), 189-196.
- Simcock, N. K., Miriyala, A., Wright, G. A., & Amrein, H. (2019). The sugar taste of honeybees. Chemical Senses. 44(3), E15-E15.
- Ahn, J., Mishra, D., Jagge, C., Miyamoto, C., & Amrein, H. (2019). The taste of RNA in insects. Chemical Senses. 44(7), E119-E120.
- Amrein, H., Mishra, D., Thorne, N., Miyamoto, C., & Jagge, C. (2019). The taste of ribonucleosides: Novel macronutrients essential for larval growth are sensed by Drosophila gustatory receptor proteins. Chemical Senses. 44(3), E8-E9.
- Amrein, H., & Miyamoto, T. (2018). Neuronal gluconeogenesis regulates systemic glucose homeostasis. Chemical Senses. 43(3), E6-E6.
- Chen, Y., & Amrein, H. (2018). Ionotropic Receptors Mediate Drosophila Oviposition Preference through Sour Gustatory Sensory Neurons. Chemical Senses. 43(4), E37-E38.
- Taste Receptor Coding awarded by National Institutes of Health - (Bethesda, Maryland, United States) 2015 - 2020
- Senior Fellow Award, Swiss National Science Foundation Laboratory of Dr. R. Axel conferred by Columbia University - (New York, New York, United States) - This fellowship lasted until 1993. 1991
- Long Term Fellow Award, European Molecular Biology Organization Laboratory of Dr. T. Maniatis conferred by Harvard University - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) - This fellowship lasted until 1991. 1989